1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always liked the small pocket oilers with their thin needle applicators but found the normal $10 price for one either loaded with lube or empty a bit much. I've been buying 4 and 16 ounce containers of my fav juice over the years and using a thin straw (like those supplied with aerosol cans) as a "dropper."

These are refillable so I went searching to find a good deal. Most on that auction site ran the expected $10. But lo and behold I found them on Amazon at $2.45 each (search for "pocket oiler"). So I ordered 3 with USPS delivery came to a whopping $10.71. I can live with that :)

I also figured it would be a good move to gift my CBOB and Heritage with some spare Wolff springs. Off to Wolff's gunsprings.com site and a few keystrokes later a few multiples of these will be heading my way:

SKU DESCRIPTION UNIT PRICE ($)
42220 COMMANDER .45 XP RECOIL SPRING 20LB 7.89
52718 COLT 1911 XP RECOIL SPRING 18.5LB CHROMESIL 7.69

I like that Wolff bundles an extra strength firing pin spring with each recoil spring as both should be changed out at the same time.

=======================================================

A couple of things I find valuable that I already have I offer up for your consideration:

A right angle Barrel-Lite Bore Inspection Device. http://www.barrel-lite.com/index.html Cheap and easy to use.

ADCO Super Thumb makes loading magazines risk free. When you're running several hundred rounds downrange you don't need a sore thumb or worse a cut up one :( Cheap preventative here :)

Catch-All pistol brass catcher. When I'm at a location where policing up my brass is either going to be a pain or impossible, this is the ticket. It may be a discontinued product but there are others available that will do the same thing. Some have even made their own DIY devices :)

FarrSight 6x dot aperture clip on, swing up, eyeglass shooting aid. Mine is probably 20 years old (Brownells part No. 084-048-001 but no longer listed...trying to find a picture). These also may now be out of production which leaves more expensive units like the Merit Optic Disc, Hyskore Pro Optic Aid, etc. to choose from. For those of us with good number of miles on the odometer, these aids work wonders to improve accuracy at the range.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
My wife thought I was absolutely nuts when I suggested that I hang little stockings along the mantle for my DW's. :biglaugh:
Looks like you've got the system figured out though. Good call and cool stuff!
Sarge

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If you want a mag loader, I strongly endorse the UpLula:rock:

·
Registered
653 Posts

With that grip, there's a good chance that the brass won't make it as far as the butterfly net there!

Did you pick up some coal for your other guns?

Joe

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

With that grip, there's a good chance that the brass won't make it as far as the butterfly net there!
Joe,

That's a picture I found on the net. Not of me , my guns, or my catcher.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Some Pretty Cool Stuff you have there, let us know if they work out for you.

Clyde

·
Registered
653 Posts
Bald1, I knew it was a stock photo.

It just struck me funny - probably a hand model who never touched a firearm before.

Joe

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
If you want a mag loader, I strongly endorse the UpLula:rock:
+1, amazing on the Uplula. Amazing ittle gadget and I use it all the time. Me thinks, I should get another Uplula just to have.

Bald1, thanks for the tips, I just ordered 3 Pen oilers and the Barrel- Lite...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
+1, amazing little gadget and I use it all the time. Me thinks, I should get another Uplula just to have.
I don't think there is any question that the Uplula under either the Butler Creek or Maglula brand label is the ne plus ultra magazine loader on the market today. But it costs $30 whereas the decades old time tested very basic design of the ADCO Super Thumb is but $7.50. Hence my including it among bargain stocking stuffers here. Bottom line having a thumb saving loader is a solid idea for any shooter :rock:

Still can't find a picture of the Farrsight nor have I bothered to take one of mine. It is indeed discontinued and was another bargain at $10 when Brownell's and others still sold it.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
+1, amazing on the Uplula. Amazing ittle gadget and I use it all the time. Me thinks, I should get another Uplula just to have.

Bald1, thanks for the tips, I just ordered 3 Pen oilers and the Barrel- Lite...
+2 Uplula is the bomb!

Wes

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
+100 on the Uplula.

I have never used anything that worked so well. Any caliber too.

Bob

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I got mine from a guy on CZforum that modifies them to work with Kadet .22 mags. Those mags are a pain!, but not with the improved Uplula!:rock: Well worth the 30$ if you're going to shoot more than 2 mags an outing.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Best place to buy a Uplula?

Seems the Uplula is an accessory well worth acquiring based on all the comments here. I've looked around a bit but the best I've found is in the $28.50 neighborhood shipped. Anyone have recommendations for the best place to buy or know where they might be on sale?

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
The mag loaders are, to me, much like someone using lifting straps in the gym. If you can't pick up the weight with your hands, then you shouldn't be lifting it. :biglaugh:
Actually, there have been occasions where I'd have been glad to have one. the military ranges where I "have" to shoot off 1,000 "extra" rounds comes to mind. :biglaugh:
Sarge

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The mag loaders are, to me, much like someone using lifting straps in the gym. If you can't pick up the weight with your hands, then you shouldn't be lifting it. :biglaugh:
Ryan,

I don't know that your analogy is all that apt.....

Actually, there have been occasions where I'd have been glad to have one. the military ranges where I "have" to shoot off 1,000 "extra" rounds comes to mind. :biglaugh:
Which is why I went for that ADCO so many years ago. It works but is cumbersome compared to what I see the Uplula doing in their demo videos. Seems an Uplula is in my future.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Mag loaders?!... what are you guys... a bunch of girls!!

Put down the lotion, get yourself some real hands... maybe a calyst on your thumb... and load those mags!!!

C'mon :(

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Mag loaders?!... what are you guys... a bunch of girls!!

Put down the lotion, get yourself some real hands... maybe a calyst on your thumb... and load those mags!!!

C'mon :(
Then beat a puppy wit a kitten to get your mind right.:rock:

(Paid for by PETA)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts