1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all you Brownies, let's hear and maybe see what ol Saint Nick brought you "gun wise" for Christmas!

I'll start. I got 400 rounds of Hornady TAP 75 grain BTHP for my Colt AR-15, a pair of VZ Alien grips for one of my EB's and 12 Magpul mags for the AR. A few other items, but not gun related.

Sincerely,

PastorDW

·
Registered
567 Posts
I received a Lyman sonic case cleaner that I'm anxious to try out. Also the history of guns on DVD. Those ought to keep me busy for awhile.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
On Christmas Eve my NIB DW Guardian .45 was delivered just in time to put a few down range before going out to dinner with the family. I was going back and forth between getting the DW or an EB LW.

The DW is a pleasure to shoot. Honestly I don’t notice much difference in handling/recoil between the DW and my all steel SFC.

As soon as I get the thumb safety issue corrected the DW is a keeper.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have one just like it. It's fantastic. What's the matter with the safety?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Picked up my Ed Brown Special Forces Carry Tuesday afternoon. Stopped by the post office and received my black VZ Frags. Also was able to get my AR complete upper to finish my rifle. Topped it off with a Leupold scope and scope mount.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked up my Ed Brown Special Forces Carry Tuesday afternoon. Stopped by the post office and received my black VZ Frags. Also was able to get my AR complete upper to finish my rifle. Topped it off with a Leupold scope and scope mount.
Wow, brent you hit the jackpot! If that is any sign of how the new year will go for you, you have much to look forward to.

Sincerely,

PastorDW

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On Christmas Eve my NIB DW Guardian .45 was delivered just in time to put a few down range before going out to dinner with the family. I was going back and forth between getting the DW or an EB LW.

The DW is a pleasure to shoot. Honestly I don’t notice much difference in handling/recoil between the DW and my all steel SFC.

As soon as I get the thumb safety issue corrected the DW is a keeper.

Nice Jim!

Sincerely,

PastorDW

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have one just like it. It's fantastic. What's the matter with the safety?
Don’t want to hijack Pastor Dan’s thread. You can read about it on the DW forum. I’ve got an email in to Keith at DW.

Essentially the thumb safety doesn’t behave like any other 1911 TS I own so I am skeptical of the fitment.

http://youtu.be/ZqPnWCPU_K0

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
The Ivory grips look great!

·
Registered
8,012 Posts

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I must've been good this year. :) Don't have any pictures of my stuff, though. I think my family knows how much I like gun stuff. lol

GA Precision Thunder Ranch .308 on order
March 3-24x42 scope
GPS Handgunner Backpack
1-year membership to the indoor range by my house
$50 gift certificate to that indoor range
Bore Snakes for every caliber gun I have
.45 brass

Mrs. Live2Ride got a new Wilson CQB Compact from my dad. It was purchased before we found out we were having another baby, so won't be able to shoot it for a while. I'll have to test out some defense ammo for her. ;)

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I must've been good this year. :) Don't have any pictures of my stuff, though. I think my family knows how much I like gun stuff. lol

GA Precision Thunder Ranch .308 on order
March 3-24x42 scope
GPS Handgunner Backpack
1-year membership to the indoor range by my house
$50 gift certificate to that indoor range
Bore Snakes for every caliber gun I have
.45 brass

Mrs. Live2Ride got a new Wilson CQB Compact from my dad. It was purchased before we found out we were having another baby, so won't be able to shoot it for a while. I'll have to test out some defense ammo for her. ;)
Get her some ammo loaded with Barnes bullets, just so she can fire the first shot :)

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Get her some ammo loaded with Barnes bullets, just so she can fire the first shot :)
They won't even let her on the range. It's one of the top rules there. Same with the indoor range across town.

I just read that it actually DOES have to do with the sound, which shocked me.

I got this from another forum:

Recommendations About Shooting While Pregnant

The question about whether women should shoot weapons during their pregnancy has come up in a number of contexts, recreation, law enforcement, military, secret service, etc. However, the answer is not a simple yes or no. Basic research on the topic, funded by the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Defense, indicated that fetal sheep suffer hearing loss and damage to their inner ears following intense exposures to steady-state noises and impulse sounds.

Before we go too far, let me explain why pregnant sheep were used for this type of research. Like humans, fetal sheep begin to hear during the last trimester of pregnancy. Furthermore, the dimensions of the abdomen of human females and sheep are similar, certainly more so than guinea pigs.

Scientists have recorded the sound levels in the uterus produced by noise sources outside the ewe, estimated transmission loss of sounds entering the ear of the fetus, measured the hearing of the fetus before and after exposures to intense impulses (equivalent to a howitzer - 170 dB), and studied tissue damage in the fetal inner ear following high-level exposures.

The simple message is extremely intense, long-duration exposures alter fetal hearing and produce tissue damage to the inner ear, a sure sign of hearing loss. Exposure to 20 rounds of howitzer-level impulses produced permanent damage to the fetal inner ear. Does this mean the same thing would happen to the human fetus? We don’t know the answer to that. However, it is best to be prudent. A national standards organization offers some guidance (American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists).

Pregnant women should avoid steady-state noise levels over 115 dB (that’s really loud and not commonly found outside of heavy industry and the military) and impulses over 155 dB. Consequently, pregnant women should avoid shooting weapons that are more powerful than a .22 caliber rifle or pistol. It makes good sense for pregnant women to avoid loud equipment as well, particularly if their bodies come in contact with the devices.

Some organizations that require pregnant employees to qualify with their weapons are concerned about this issue and have curtailed this practice during the woman’s pregnancy. Shooting is fun and is not hazardous to unborn babies as long as one takes proper precautions.

Regards, Ken Gerhardt, Ph.D., Professor of Audiology

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=103012

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Unfortunately, I am still waiting to take delivery on my SF carry. So instead for Christmas treated myself to a couple of emerson knives. Then today, a few days late for Christmas, I took delivery of my Nighthawks - a Predator 2 and a Heine Signature Series Competition both in 45 acp. Straight off to the range to shoot some rounds through them. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I scored big with a new Ed Brown Special Forces Carry in Stainless Steel. I sold my old Yamaha YZ250 motorcycle and used the cash on the new EB. Worth every penny. Pics to follow soon

·
Registered
92 Posts
My "like new in EB bag" Kobra 2 tone finally got here from the dealer off of GunsAmerica. He had posted it with great pics, and it looks like brand new, I can hardly tell it was fired at all.

It took forever, because we had 10" of snow here, and they didn't pick up mail for a week, so my check sat there in the mail box for a week. First time that's ever happened here, and I finally had to take my wife out in my 4x4 F150 (the first time I had driven since my motorcycle accident) to mail the Christmas presents to the east coast. My check went in the mail that day, and the guys on the other end down in AL were good about waiting on me to get the check there! I was afraid they'd think I was scamming them or something by not sending the check promptly, but they were good working with me and the gun was perfectly as advertised.

I got to the range this week and got to put 50 rounds through it. My muscle tone is shot after the accident and no rehab for the upper body. The first 30 rounds were good, but on the last 20, I was shaking like the proverbial "dog shizzing peach seeds", and they weren't the best! It's going to take a good while to get back in shape.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts