1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all:)
I would like to know which is the better steel for a 1911 frame/slide, chrome moly or stainless steel? And which of these is the easiest to machine?
Thank you all,
Evolution1:confused:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am certainly no expert, but it is my understanding that Carbon Steel can be made to have better properties for a gun than Stainless Steel. That is why many gunmakers choose CS and a Hard Chrome finish over SS. I am not going to say how much better the CS is, and for most uses it probably doesn't matter.
I compare the difference to that of a Forged frame versus a Cast frame. The Forged frame is probably better, but are you ever going to be able to tell the difference? Probably not.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Chrome Moly has it's advantages and so does Stainless Steel.. one of the drawbacks of Stainless Steel is proper lubrication to prevent galling.. it's really a personal preferance decision but you should make yourself aware of the drawbacks of each. It may be easier to keep a Stainless pistol like new than a chrome moly, due to the finishes that need/can be applied to chrome moly so it will not rust.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts