1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I got my Kimber back from Chuck Rogers about two weeks ago, I decided I wanted a black slide to give the pistol a two tone look. Good thing I live close to a firearms plater that performs the "stainless bluing" process :D. I asked them to perform bluing on my stainless slide, and since it already has Chuck's mirror polish on the flats, it looks just like a blued carbon steel slide with polished flats now. First picture is what it looked like before the bluing, subsequent pictures are that of the finished product. Enjoy...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That's sweet looking. Can you provide anymore info on the "stainless bluing"? Do they accept out of state work. Inquiring minds want to know :)

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
That really looks nice! I'm curious about the durability, let us know how it's holding up. Nice front strap treatment, Chuck! :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Big Daddy,

The company's name is Techplate (www.techplate.com). They definitely accept out of state work, apparently they have done work for Wilson Combat and others. I have had two dealings with them, and though their book keeping needs more attention, their work is top notch :). Marshall is the guy answering emails, great guy and very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi AZ,

Will definitely let everyone know how the finish holds up, though I am guessing it will be on par with regular carbon steel bluing. Oh and by the way, the front strap is my solution to saving $200+ for a checkering job, took me about 2 minutes to cut and paste, and I love the feel and it grabs my hand better than 20lpi checkering without the pain.

·
Registered
209 Posts
pklin

pklin,
That is an awesome looking pistol:D . I loves the two-tones:cool:. May I suggest, though, if you like the grip tape, use a clear one. I don't recall where it is sold, but I have seen it on a gun, and it does not clash with the statinless like the dark one does.

Anyway, I know we all have different tastes, but just thought I'd offer that up to you as an option.
Congrats on a great looking gun. I especially like the "Brown" conversion of the grip safety. Very well done. Chuck got game:D .

Lenny

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Lenny,

I have definitely thought about the clear color skateboard tape, but I chose the current black because 1. It was what I had on hand, and I just wanted to try the feel and 2. I already had a blued mainspring housing installed so it looked pretty good having a black front strap and black back. I will definitely take your suggestion into consideration though! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
IMO it looked better before....but not bad looking shooter.

·
Registered
379 Posts
beautiful, beautifu, beautiful!

Chuck Rogers is IMO, one fine pistolsmith.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
ranger said:
You got this back from Chuck Rogers, and put skateboard tape on the frontstrap?:confused:

Was his checkering file broken?
he said above that he did it to save money on the checkering job...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Actually the saving money thing was three days ago before I was notified I got the new job I interviewed for :D. So Chuck, I hope you and Pete Single have some free time on your hands, cause I'm gonna want this back in a hurry after the checkering :D

Personally, I don't think the front strap looks all that bad, and I would be the first to admonish it because I am a perfectionist and I look for and pay for the best. The skateboard tape is a test to see whether I NEED checkering, or just grips with a bigger checkered area. The jury is still out on that...

·
Super Moderator
13,419 Posts
Maybe you should consider serrated front strap instead of checkering. Easier on the hand and pocketbook, but still provide good traction.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I did a similar "test" with the Wilson Combat sheet steel checkering that wraps around the fronstrap. This feels a lot more like checkering does than skateboard tape.

It looks hokey up close, but it works great, and actually from 10 feet away, the stainless one looks pretty good on my Kimber. This Kimber I bought used, and it came with skateboard tape on the frontstrap. I prefer the feel (and look) of the Wilson thingie to tape.

Anyway, after trying the Wilson thing, I now have checkering all my "non-GI" 1911s. Couldn't say I 'need' it, but I certainly prefer it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have found that 20 lpi is sharp and catches on clothes too much for me, and 30 lpi is too fine to be grippy enough. For me personally, I have found 25 lpi to work the best for me. And since the mainspring housing is a combination of 30 and 20 lpi (Wilson's), 25 lpi on front will match it pretty well. I have also thought about Ned C's frontstrap treatments, but again, the jury is still out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts