1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed a Cimarron (Uberti) Thunderer 4.75" .45 Colt under the counter at a somewhat local gun store the other day. I picked it up and checked it out and it felt pretty good. I like that 4 clicks while cocking the hammer. I put it down after checking things over and did some other shopping. As fate would have it, I came back the next day and the Thunderer followed me home. That story has played out time and time again. It's like feeding a puppy and you got a friend for life.

I have been checking around for reloading dies and .45 Colt ammo but have been shot down at 5 local shops. My ammo stash has 2 boxes of Ultramax and 2 boxes of Winchester Cowboy loads. There is another 2 boxes of Remington 225 grain but they will be used for the two older model Vaqueros. I'm not sure offhand if they are two hot for the Thunderer. Those two guns were bought used and I never thought I was a good shot with them. Hopefully the Cimarron will bring things back on target.

I'm still looking for a traditional 1873 SAA clone with probably a 5.5" barrel but will wait a month or two. It will involve a 180 mile trip but I'm sure something will be following me home again.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Congrats!!!! Those are sweet little revolvers. I used to have one and foolishly got rid of it. It will be replaced at some point.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I hope to get it out soon to get a few rounds through it. After getting it out and under good light is when you notice stuff. Little things but nothing to get too worried about. I did notice a tiny little scratch about 3/16" long on the cylinder that went all the way down to the shiny metal. It is not from the functioning of the gun but looks like a handling issue at some time in its life. There is a little rough workmanship by the case loading area. It looked like it missed a final filing. The screw on the bottom of the gun is a little crooked and doesn't sit flush with the surrounding metal. I'm not sure if they are all like that or not. I went around and checked some screws and found a few that were loose. I guess that would be an area to watch for with all the shaking that goes on. My Colt Python also had a screw that liked to back out on extended shooting sessions. The other thing that I will do some more investigating on is the firing pin on the hammer is loose. I don't know if they are supposed to be a solid mount or allowed to wiggle around a little.

I don't have an excuse getting into the rifle range anymore. The road is snow and ice covered and my car is a hog on ice. I just got my 4-wheel drive vehicle back after being being in the shop for almost two months after a $12,500 deer hit to the front and down the driver side. It has been out of commission since the end of October. It's hard to find ammo and accessories and the guy told me that ordering car parts is a nightmare right now with all the 'stuff' going on. I'd drive by the range entrance and would see vehicle tracks but said don't do it or you'll be stuck in no time once you get a little off the beaten path.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I braved the snow and wind to put a few rounds through the Thunderer. I forgot the combination to the gate so I had to carry things in. The factory 250 grain cowboy loads I had with me were Ultramax, Magtech, and Winchester. Only six of each loading because I mainly went to check out a recently installed reflex sight on a Victory. Everything was low and left with the Ultramax setting the bar at 2.5 inches at 10 yards offhand. The Magtechs were not far behind. The Winchesters opened up to 5 inches. I couldn't really feel my trigger finger when it was time to shoot the 45 Colt. The sight was hard to pick up on the black target stickers I put up for the 22lr. My yellow stickers would not stick from the cold. I tried a little orange one and it flew away with the first shot of the Magtech with a bullseye. From then I was aiming at bullet holes.

My trigger finger rides up to the top of the trigger after each shot and needs adjusting. I did have the gun lock up on me at home the night before when dry firing 'Traditions' snap caps. I found two of them with their 'primers' sticking out. They would catch on the ridge on the gun. The once fired brass cycled around without a problem.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the Thunderer out again to stretch its legs a little. I started off at the 15-yard line for 10 shots but was having a little difficulty picking up the sights for the target I had set up. That is one tiny blade on the front of this gun. The two five-shot groups were not too bad and that used up the last rounds for that box of Ultramax 250 grain loadings. I have another full box at home!

I switched targets and ammo and decided to play around at the 7-yard line to get a better feel for things. I used Magtech and Winchester 250 grain loads for these with 15 shots apiece. The two wild shots with the Winchester didn't dampen my spirits because it was a blast shooting this gun. I had a little side-to-side action going with the Winchester and an up and down thing going on with the Magtech. :confused:

If it is somewhat decent later today, then I will be back for some more. I might even bring along two older Vaqueros (SS Sheriff's Model & 5.5"). I wasn't impressed with them long ago and they have been sitting in the safe. It might have been me back then with my first attempts at shooting 'cowboy guns'.

It's my birthday so that gives me a valid excuse to go blast a few. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Love my Ubertis .45LC's! I have 2 and a Ruger Vaquero. That's called "Smoked Nickle" on the Barretta (Uberti built) one in back.
Not all Uberti's have the 4 click hammer action now, be careful if you buy online and that's a "thang" for you.
IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts