1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first post here, although I'm a long time lurker.

I just wanted to give everyone in the Ohio area a heads up on the Bill Goodmans "Pro" gun shows in this area. I attended one today in Sharonville Ohio, and I must say it was one of the worst gun shows I've ever attended.

Many of the tables were loaded up with flea market style cheapo knives. The majority of the rifles were used and abused, if you know what I mean. As for the handguns, I was totally unimpressed. I was looking for Glocks in particular (Yeah, Yeah, I know. :p ) and there were 10 or less Glock pistols at the entire show. I was looking for a Glock 21, or Glock 30 (gotta stay with .45acp!) and there was not a single Glock 30 in the house. Not one. There was only one Glock 21, it was a first generation that had been "factory reconditioned". Oh, I forgot to mention it had a $515 price tage on it. :barf:

Now, for the 1911's! I saw a few Kimbers scattered about, pricing on them was rather high, and most were used. There were a few tables with Springfield "Loaded" 1911's in stainless, but pricing was nothing special at $689. I was also looking for a Springfield Mil-Spec in stainless, not a single one of those in the house either.

Just wanted to give my fellow gun lovers a little heads up if you plan on attending any of the Bill Goodman shows in the Ohio area, you might be disappointed.

Happy, and safe, shooting! :)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The Sharonville show is a small show as you saw. I go to the Sharonville and Dayton shows (haven't been to Louisville). The Dayton one is quite different from the Sharonville show. Dayton is usually much bigger with more stuff.

I was at this last Sharonville show too. It wasn't too good. I'm with you on the knives they had at this last one. Generally the Dayton and Wilmington shows are much better. I would still check them out sometime if you haven't been to them. Indianapolis show is usually good too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got 2 free tickets to the Wilmington show. I was looking at the website for the center it's held at, it looks quite large. Maybe I will go, I'm still in the market for several guns. Won't be going back to the Sharonville show for sure.

This is supposed to be the 35th anniversary show, so maybe it will be better. At the last Wilmington show, did you notice any Stainless Springfield Mil-specs? That's one of the few things I'm looking for. Glocks also.

Take it easy!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The usual show at Wilmington is not Bill Goodman's, it the PRO show:

http://www.peoplesrights.org/

I've only been to it once, last time they had it. It was a good show I thought. They had a lot more nicer stuff, some old Colts and old 1911s, stuff you won't see at Goodmans. Had some nice knives too, Striders, Emersons, etc.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Just wanted to re-iterate: Bill Goodman and PRO are two different outfits, though they do rent some of the same venues for their shows. IMO too, the PRO shows are way higher quality. 'Tis a shame about Cincinnati, car freak: 15 or so years ago, when ALL gun shows were better, the Goodman show was held at the Cincinnati Gardens expo bldg. And, it was pretty good. But, the city politicos harrassed shows--and virtually all gun stores--out of the city limits.

·
Administrator
13,316 Posts
CF

Have you tried any area dealers for the pistols you want ? Sometimes they have as good or better deals than a "show" . Also , they are in the same location year round if you need assistance .

Just a thought .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I will be looking at the local dealers soon. I think Target World out on Kemper Rd. is a stocking dealer for Glock, but I have not been there in years. A friend of mine used thier range, and said it was kinda pricey (not sure if it translates to gun prices or not). He rented a gun (fee was only $5) but they charged him $15.99 for a 50 round box of .45acp, and it's $14/hr for a lane. Not much you can do though, are not many public ranges left around here. :(

Springfields can be hard to come by around here, espeically for a reasonable price. I called a few places today, not many, and kots of places stock the Loaded's, but for some reason not many people have the Mil-Specs. :hrm: If I can find time one of these days, I might be driving up to see you Mitch. :cool:

·
Administrator
13,316 Posts
Not sure what part of town you live in ? But , if you're up for a road trip , over in Lancaster is a great new indoor range at Ohio Valley Trading . It's clean and extremely well ventilated .

·
Registered
447 Posts
Guy - Do you remember what the range rates were @ Ohio Valley? The last time I was in I thought they were $16 or $18 which seemed kind of high to me. But in central Ohio we don't have many choices.

Regards,
O2B

·
Administrator
13,316 Posts
Sorry , I don't know the cost . The owner is a friend of ours and I wasn't charged .
I do believe that they have a yearly rate that is probably less money .

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Car Freak, Dayton show is this weekend at Hara Arena. You could try that, and then while you're in the area you could check out Olde English.

Target World does have a pretty good supply of handguns too. Glock, Springfield, Kimber, Colt, etc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Goodman show in Dayton is usually still pretty good, selection-wise.

Some of the dealers smoke - Hatchets are the worst - despite "No Smoking" PA announcements and signs posted.

I don't buy anything from dealers who smoke. Petty, yes, but I enjoy breathing and not stinking like a forest fire as much as I enjoy gun shows. Because of the pollution, I spend less time in their general area, so other, non-smoking dealers suffer, too. I'm not the only one complaining about it.

At the pretty-much-pointless Sharonville show, you get to strangle on the illegal smoke while you're looking at the beef jerky, knives, baubles, books, bangles, beads,and bore-less mil surp junk.

Best shows around southern Ohio are the PRO shows, and the OGCA, both held at the Wilmington Roberts Center - definitely worth the trip - and the "No Smoking" signs are enforced!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
DamnedDirtyApe:

I'd say you've pegged the Goodman shows pretty well there. On the other hand, I'm gonna miss being able to puff on a stogie while walking around the Nat'l Gun Day show down in Lexington, Ky.
(They passed a citywide smoking ban, everywhere but tobacco shops, last I heard.) Of course, that 90 mile ride
each way was just about right for a cigar too, now that I think about it further. Say, you wanna start carpooling to gunshows together?;) Maybe not...:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
They passed a citywide smoking ban, everywhere but tobacco shops,
I'm glad to hear that - BUT - will it be enforced?

The Sharonville Convention Center has No Smoking decals on the entrance doors advising that it's against local law to smoke in the building.

Recently, I sent an E-mail to the building manager there about the puffing Hatchets (them again) and their chronic sickening selfishness, but he pretty well blew me off and told me I should call the police next time.

Maybe I will, but not before an E-mail or two to the Sharonville City Council about his indifference to illegal activities in his area of responsibility. I have become some sort of a ghastly crusader.

On the other hand, it's a crappy show anyway, so why bother?

But, sometimes, it's the only show around!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sharonville & Dayton

Been to the Shows in Sharonville & Dayton.
Dayton was marginally better than Sharonville, which sucked completely. I really miss the Gold Coast Shows in Florida.
I’m with other people here I’d rather drive, an hour, through some pretty country and go to Louisville or the big show in Lexington later in February. Additional benefit being that I can leave the show with and go shoot anything I buy and not have to “arrange” for a transfer.
I’ve been using the Shotgun News to find gun shows because online searches have proven poor at best. Any gun show advertising “no flea market junk” and delivering will likely end up being a return event.
Just my 2 pennys.

·
Registered
119 Posts
OldSchool, check out the PRO show in Wilmington next weekend - it WON'T disappoint you!

71 north to exit 50 ... Hwy 68 ... look for the Ramada - Roberts Center is in the rear.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Is the Wilmington show really that good? I'm in the market for a Ruger Basiley Vaquero and I'm debating purchasing it locally or going to the Wilmington show to see if I can get a better deal.

Thanks,
O2B

·
Registered
225 Posts
:D I have been to all the shows, even when Goodmans was held at the gardens. None compare with the Willimington Pro show. And if you want the best prices around try shooters supply in Loveland. I have found it hard to beat there prices. As far as a ruger bisley, that is not a real common gun, I mean from the standpoint of alot of people going to a show to buy one of those. And your right about the kimber prices they are rediculous down here. Last sat my brother and law went to shomy's in franklin, what a joke, ran into a trader who said the show was bad because of the Dayton show so we ran up there. Saw a few good deals but am looking forward to the willmington show this weekend. It is usually imho twice the show of Goodmans.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts