1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all let me start with I am not an LEO, but thank god you guys are and I appreciate and value everyone of you for serving the community. Thank you guys very much :). Now I was reading some valuable information from a thread on here and saw where an officer said there was a civilians course or something to that effect. I am not sure if that is just in conjunction with upcoming police personel or what. But if there is a course offered from the police department for the public, or for CCW civis I would love to attend or partake. If any of you have information in reguards to this, or what it entails, any information would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
What kind of training are you looking for and where are you located? If you don't mind going out of town, your options are pretty open. There are some great courses outside the big name schools like Gunsite or Thunder Ranch, not that these are bad in any way. I just finished a great course with Gabe Suarez on close range gunfighting. It was only a few hundread dollars and the wealth of knowledge was worth every penny. Just remember that having a gun does not make you a gunfighter. Training makes you a gunfighter. Check out www.suarezinternational.com

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am in Orlando, FL..... I was assuming it was like a safety/legal information course or atleast thats what I inferred from the post. But I am into any type of training really. I posted a thread about private lessons in my area and got some great information, actually taking a course soon from Frank Garcia. But I was more interested in the legal/safety courses from the LEO since they are so well versed, and have to consume a massive amount of legal knowledge. But also doing ride arounds with an officer would be cool too, but I am pretty sure I know how to get involved with that program. But any other advice or information would be appreciated and I will check out your link right now. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I am a Reserve Deputy with the Richland County Sheriff's Dept in SC, and in addition to the RD program, we also offer a citizens academy. I'm not real familure with the Citizen's Academy program, but I believe it is very similar to the type of thing you are asking about. The RD program, is very much what it sounds like. I am not a full time LEo, in fact I do not even get paid. But I am an employee of the Sheriff's Dept, with full powers of arrest and the same authority as any other deputy. I work at least 20 hrs a month, volunteer, for free. After a year the RD can go full time if he wants. We currently have about 45 RD's and about 30 State Constables. All volunteer their time and put in a total of about 1500 hrs a month....free. The State Constable is another volunteer LEO in South Carolina. He has statewide authority working under the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED). Any agency in the state can request his assistance.

If you want to learn more about LE, want to "help out", etc check and see if your state has any similar programs. They help put two people in a car where it normally isn't possible. The full time guys will really appreciate your help. Just think if someone came into your office to work 20 hr a month for free!

You may even want to check your local Tech College for classes.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hershey

·
Registered
490 Posts
Many departments have both a Reserve and a Citizen's academy. The Reserve Academy is usually a nighttime academy for citizens volunteering their time to act as reserve officers. It is real training aimed at certifying you as a commissioned reserve officer. That's how I started my career.

The Citizens Academy is typically an "FYI" course aimed at educating citizens on criminal law and police procedure, so they better understand how their department works (or doesn't :D

As for firearms training, many police academy firearms instructors teach shooting in their off-duty time.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow this is awsome feedback guys, I really appreciate it. And I am definately interested in something just like that, I will contact the state and see what I can do to help you guys out :))

The public might not love yall, but I do hehe ;) :)

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Alot of the people my age and people that I know in general are unappreciative of the LEO and the service they provide for the public. Most of the people I know have had a bad experience with a LEO or are just paranoid in general of the department. Maybe it doesn't fit the people "you" know gary, or "your" experience, but it definately holds true in mine. And I am sure I am in for another exilarating semantics/nuance/arbitrary/contextual debate with you , of which I cannot wait. Let me fix that statement to avoid drama from a simple joke.

"In "MY" experience the public might not love yall, but I do hehe "

There , better.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I understand you Natural, many people I know are surprised to find out that I or one of my friends is LE because they have never interacted with a LEo except for when they get pulled over, busted for underage drinking, etc. They are surprised to find a Nice LEO. I try to explain to them that often police have bad days too, and you might catch them on one, or also even though your "excuse" for whatever you did may be true for you, it wasn't the last five times it was heard, THAT DAY! But I think for every member of the public, that dislikes, is intimidated, or scared of LEO's there is at least one with your feelings, and mine for that matter!

Good luck with your search also!

Hershey

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awsome Thanks!!!

"because they have never interacted with a LEo except for when they get pulled over, busted for underage drinking, etc. "

That is absolutely true :)

"and you might catch them on one, or also even though your "excuse" for whatever you did may be true for you, it wasn't the last five times it was heard, THAT DAY! "

Hahaha that is so true and funny, and I am guilty of it as anyone is ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts