1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been comtemplating buying a Citori, been checking out a used one that is in very good shape 98% that is going for a grand. It is about 10 years old and is a grade 1 standard field gun. Any thoughts from the gallery, whether this is a good buy and what to look for as in defects. Seems pretty tight in lock up. Merry Xmas.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
As long as it loks up tight and there isnt any rust it sounds like a reasonable deal.

Last Christmas I got a 525 Golden Clays. I really like them Brownings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Basically you just have to look for rust. Check the bores well. These are excellent guns in all respects and can take ALOT of shooting. If you find one that falls open all the way when opened...it has been shot quite a bit.
Most will require some force to open and close.

Earlier guns will not have screw in chokes.

You have made an excellent choice in a used Citori. I hear folks complain that " I could buy a new xxxxxx gun for the same price as a used Citori".
Maybe so, but they still wouldn't have as much gun.

·
Banned
975 Posts
the main thing to check for is the lock-up. take and hold it at the wrist, and at the foreend. pull the front and back apart and twist at the same time. you should see no movement between the reciever and the barrel. if you see movement, it needs the locking lug built up and recut. citori's typically start to loosen up anywhere between 100,000 and 200,000rnds.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shotgun is supposed to be close to new in box, shot very little. I am inspecting it hopefully in the next several days. I do really appreciate the comments on what to look for in a low mileage gun, that really helps, I had several ideas but you all help confirm it. Which if it's as described I would be getting a very nice shooter.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
LastRites said:
The shotgun is supposed to be close to new in box, shot very little. I am inspecting it hopefully in the next several days. I do really appreciate the comments on what to look for in a low mileage gun, that really helps, I had several ideas but you all help confirm it. Which if it's as described I would be getting a very nice shooter.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to O/Uers. The only O/U I own is a Browning Citori 12ga. My retail was around $1500 over five years ago. I am not even sure what grade mine is. Sorry. But if the gun is in as good of shape as you say, I think it's a killer deal.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
948 Posts
Check the stock at the wrist, and the fore-end around the metal, for hairline cracks. Minor cracks aren't necessarily a deal breaker if they are repairable, but they are definitely a factor in the price.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greyson, current list is around $1700, but who pay's that is the common response. It will be a fair deal at the least and most likely a very deal if it's as stated and I have no doubts that it is at this point. I most definitely will be looking for hairline cracks, have seen those on other brands and it would be a deal breaker for me. Hairline won't be comming home, don't need what will be on going and getting worse issues.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to thank those that posted some info for me. I bought the used Citori. Here's the best part, I have since found out that it has never been shot and is very close to 100% condtion. What I have here IMO was a very good deal.:rock:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
heck yeah, those cases dont come cheap! thats a heck of a gun for 1k.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did it come with the case at that price? If so you got a heck of a deal! Congrats!

Yes sir, came with the case you see in the photo, as well as, several other chokes, original box and manual ect... Not a mark on this gun, I really believe it has never been shot in 13 years. The gentleman I bought it from said he never shot it and didn't think his Uncle ever did either, but wasn't sure. He rated it at 98%, I would have rated it as 100%, not even a mark on the breech face. I feel for once I got really really lucky and couldn't be much happier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts