1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm still looking for a good gun to use for trap. I had been looking into a Beretta Urika Gold Sporting that looks to be set up for trap, but I think I'd be better served by a over/under. Does anybody here that shoots trap have a trap citori? A local shot has a real nice one I'm thinking of getting. They say that it is a grade 5, but I can't seem to find any info on a grade 5 anywhere? Anyway, it's got 30" ported barrels, ventilated trap syle rib, adjustable stock, and the most beautiful wood I've ever seen, short of a 50,000 Beretta. Bores are mirror and lock up is tight. No dings or marks anyhwere. Its being sold as a used gun but, I've been around guns a long time and it looks brand new to me. They're asking $1,600. Is that a good deal? I'm really tempted because I've been wanting a proper trap gun for a while and this fits me perfect. What do you guys think?
Chevy

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
That is a racehorse deal. I had an early Citori Trap - hardly more than a field gun with Monte Carlo stock and 30" F&IM - and could not hit well with it. The guy I sold it to shot it for years and years, finally wore it out over hundreds of thousands of targets, and bought another late model like you describe.
Gettit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you mean a Browning Citori XT Trap, then I have one. I started shooting trap with a Citori Sporting, but I wanted a heavier gun with a slower swing to it. The Citori XT Trap was just the ticket. Mine has 32" ported barrels and factory adjustable comb on the stock. Some have said the adjustable comb can cause problems due to poor hardware in the design. I have put about 3000 rounds through mine and it has not moved (I did put washers on the posts as spacers though and that might have helped).

I have done real well in Trap with this gun and I use it for Sporting Clays as well and it just hammers those clays if I do my part. My last time at the trap range I shot a 25-24-25-24...almost a 100 straight! I really like how I can hold the clay just over the top of the gun in flight and dust it. The Citori Sporting clay model I had, I tended to have to hide the clay behind the barrel to smoke it. I like the over-unders because they are easy to clean, easy to operate, absolutely safe on the range if they are open, and seem to last forever.

As far as price is concerned, I am no expert. I bought my Citori XT Trap for $2200 plus tax new.

From your post it sounds as if you do not know what Grade 5 means. It means the grade of the wood, and Browning Grade 5 is the best grade of wood with lots of grain, figure and character in it. I priced a replacement Grade 4 stock straight from Browning and they wanted $800...just for the stock. I would bet Grade 5 would bring much more money.

Craig

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi. I have been shooting trap the last 16 years.
I am a big fan of citoris.And browning.
I have;
grade 1 plus trap
superlight feather
recoiless trap
cynergy
I have tryed a few semi-autos, and european over unders.
Try to get bernardelli or fiocchi repared at your small town gunshop .
In most cases it won't happen.
Browning citori , it will.
IMHO Fit is everything.
If it is in the shape you say it is I think $1600 is fair.
But try to haggle that's part of the fun of getting a new toy.
Look at the 25th edition blue book of gun values.
I'd go for it. I sure am glad I shoot better then I type.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to try and go back tommorrow and haggle. I need to take a closer lok at it, as I wasn't all that serious about it at the shop. I'll let you guys know what happens.

In the meantime, please keep the citori trap info coming!
THanks,
Chevy

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mistake...

Well, I went back today and I found out that I am illiterate. The gun is a grade VI (6) not a grade V (5)! Does this make much of a difference? I looked a little closer and here's what I remember...
-30" Ported barrels with trap vent rib
-Gorgoues wood
-Choke tubes (not sure if the barrels are backbored for Invector plus tubes or not)
-Adjustable stock with a beavertail-like foreend.
-Comes with a fitted hardcase.

So what really makes it the Grade 6 Trap, versus like a normal trap model or the other grade 6's? BTW, it is not an XT.

I don't know why i didn't buy it tonite. Oh well, I'll have to make a treek out that way anyway tommorrow so I can get it then.
Chevy

·
Banned
975 Posts
the grade generally indicates the quality of wood on the gun, grade6 being top end for a browning. if the gun is absolutely mint, it is probably worth the asking price. that is assuming no bluing wear on the grip tang, the top lever is still to the right, and there is no slop between the barrels and reciever. i prefer my XT to the older trap model, but for all practical purposes it is the exact same gun with minor differences. just for reference, a brand new citori XT with non adjustable stock will cost around $1850 plus or minus a little. to see if it is an invector or invector+ gun remove the forearm and take off the barrels. on the left hand side of the barrel block it will say what it is, or remove a choke tube, factory tubes say what they are.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Browning now catalogs a Grade VII (7) Citori. Those have an MSRP higher than $4,000. A Grade I Citori Trap has an MSRP of over $2500. So the price is definitely good. As the Grade increases, the wood gets better and the metal has more ornamentation, including engraving, gold inlays, and different finishes.

I would check it over very carefully. If it has not been shot too much, the lever should be a bit to the right when the action is closed. The bores should be mirror shiny.

I shoot a 28-grade XS Sporting, and I believe my grandchildren will be trying to shoot the gun loose. I also have a Grade I .410 Lightning that will be in service until well past the end of my days. Citoris are very good guns for the money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts