1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What, is this forums opinion and what would be the correct way to handle this situation:

After all of these years - this has never happened to me:

I was setting in a coffee shop, this morning reading the paper and enjoying a cup of coffee. (just for clarification, I had on shorts, flip flops and a Tommy Bahama shirt) Dressed pretty darn nice for a 75 degree morning in the south.

There were several people doing the same thing and afew standing at the counter ordering, to go. This shop is somewhat remote - not connected to a mall. The owner is a personal friend of mine who lives 2 doors down the street from me.

As I sat there reading I guess I had my elbows on the table holding the paper and suppose my 1911 was printing, somewhat, through my shirt. (I carry at 4 o'clock). I am always aware of any situation where I might print and try to avoid the possibility. Anyway,

A rather large guy who I think was setting with several other guys at a near by table, (short hair, high and tight, - Marine Corp kinda guy, ex Marine myself) walked up and said, excuse me but are you a Law Enforcement Officer ?

I turned and said - excuse me. He again said, are you a Law Enforcement Officer ? I said no - why do you ask ? He said I think I can see the imprint of your gun and if your are not in Law Enforcement I would like to see your "carry permit".

My comment was: Are you in Law Enforcement ? He said no but I would still like to see your "carry permit".

I kinda looked up and smiled (to me it was really no big deal) and said, sir, I am carrying a concealed weapon and have done so for almost 40 years now. And I assure you, I am authorized to carry this weapon.

I don't know if he was showing off for his buddies or if he was just being an ass. But by now several people in the coffee shop was listening to what was going on.

He again said, I would like to see your "carry permit". I said, sir, with all due respect - you are not authorized to request that information.

He, very abruptly said: well then I'll call the police. I said, sir, that's fine with me but I assure you that I am authorized to carry. By this time the customers, in the coffee shop, was paying no attention to our discussion, whatsoever. The guy turned and returned to his table where his buddies were waiting. I could hear several whispers but really couldn't make them out.

To my knowledge, no calls were ever made and nothing else happened.

I finished my coffee and paper ( about 10 minutes), got up and left.

I didn't want to be a butt about this situation but there are alot of situations where one would carry a gun and not be an LEO.

What would you have done ????

·
Registered
82 Posts
with all the LEO-impersonators out there ....

I'd have liked to have stuck around to see what vehicle these guys were in, get the plates, report this weird incident to the PD, and see who you're dealing with.

As a woman, if some freak was asking to see my "carry permit," no matter how politely, I'd think they were trying to find out who I am, where I live. Very, very creepy. It's a probe for an assault. Boom. Boom, boom.

That's a very nervy thing to do. What kind of psycho is this? He said he wasn't a LEO, but maybe the next person he "questions" will have a bogus badge flashed at them.

Fantastic; the shop owner is a friend of yours. Ask him questions. Did these creeps pay with a credit card? Has he seen them before? What were they driving? Have him record when/where/what happens if they show up there again. Oh yeah; he can also save a mug or fish a paper cup out of the trash if he's really motivated.

Just yesterday here in DFW a nut in a pick-up with a flashing light and siren chased a woman down the highway for miles. She drove to her parents house, then gets out of the car and hands over her ID info to him!!!! Her mother stated, "He carried himself like a cop."

The weirdo lectures his target; "I WILL deal with you later!!" pointing his finger in her face, and runs off when her father comes out of the house.

In all this, no one ever got a license plate.:confused:

Take care! :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
notmodern said:
I'd think they were trying to find out who I am, where I live. Very, very creepy.
Bingo. Never reveal personal information to people like that. For all you know they could be checking out your address to see if you have more toys at home.

This whole situation could've been avoided by trying harder to conceal your firearm, however. I've spotted people at grocery stores "printing" on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
"My license? Sure. I keep it in the muzzle for safe keeping. You have to look closely..."

Makes you wonder if he stops all the cars in the parking lot and asks the driver to see his d/l, or goes out to the airport to stop the pilots and check out their licenses.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would not have confirmed I was carrying. What is he going to do - frisk you? You just told everyone around that you carry - not a good idea. Just act dumb and say what are you talking about. If he points - say medical device - what business is it of yours? (it is a "medical" device - keeps you healthy !!)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't confirm!

RMF said:
I would not have confirmed I was carrying. What is he going to do - frisk you? You just told everyone around that you carry - not a good idea. Just act dumb and say what are you talking about. If he points - say medical device - what business is it of yours? (it is a "medical" device - keeps you healthy !!)
There you go ... I would not have confirmed I was carrying. RMF nailed it. I think this is the response we all need to "practice."

Honest people answer questions truthfully as a reflex, but we don't want to be truthful with those who are not themselves honest, normal people.

It's a: colostomy bag, garage door opener, my Bible, "I'm a diamond courier" :p or respond to any question in Spanish, "No habla Englais (sp??)" and give yourself time to think, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I doubt that I would have been as patient or polite as you were. I would have told him up front, "Mind your own damn business and get away from me - now."

Whoever he was, he was a freaking idiot. He had no business and no right to walk up on you and start interrogating you. If he was a military policeman, he has no jurisdiction or police powers in the civilian sector, period. If he were an MP, he would know this. Sounds like a cop wannabe, to be honest.

I have talked to people who work in banks and asked them, "What happens if you see a gun imprint or someone reaches into their jacket and you see a gun in a shoulder holster?" The answer was, "Nothing. As long as the gun doesn't come out, there's not a problem."

If bank tellers are taught to treat people carrying guns like this, some schmuck at the diner definitely has no business doing what this loser did.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You did fine. As with a couple others, the only thing I would have done would have been to deny everything. If the person asking isn't a LEO, then they don't get to find out what (if anything) I have under my clothes.

If they make like they wish to frisk you, then inform them that you will call the police because they are going to assault you. If the person is THAT worried, let the schmuck go ahead and call the cops to check you out- they have no business trying to find out such things for themselves.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I think you did very well except for printing - I'd solve that little problem.

We have Mr. Buttinsky here also (and his Mrs.). My wife has been asked what her disability is after parking in a handicapped spot (we have disabled plates). I'm just waiting for some jerk to ask me that but no one has had the cajones so far. :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
ABC3 said:
He said I think I can see the imprint of your gun and if your are not in Law Enforcement I would like to see your "carry permit".
I think you did fine, all things considered. As a couple of others have said, it's probably better not to admit you're carrying.

If the person asking the question is not a LEO, I'm unaware of any law or regulation that requires you to confirm or deny whether you're carrying. And you don't need to make up any fib to cover yourself. Next time, you might consider answering with something like this:

"Think whatever you want. It's a free country." And then if he threatens to call the police, as he did in your situation, do exactly what you did. Tell him to, "Go ahead. Oh, and have a nice day." :)

As for the guy being weird, based on what you wrote, he doesn't sound particularly weird to me. After all, he spotted your gun. What he does sound like is a cocky busybody who was trying to impress his friends. Nothing weird about that, just immature.

While I have a CCW and know plenty of others have CCWs, if I see someone's gun printing, my spider senses will tingle. How can I tell if the guy is a law abiding CCW holder or a criminal getting ready to start his business day? I'd probably decide whether or not to call the police based on the guy's appearance. Folks who believe you can't judge a book by its cover must not recognize the difference between the covers of Playboy and the Bible.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Bravo, well done. And ho cares if you're printing...you have a CCW. I was just at my local gas station the other day pumping the ever so inexpensive gas we get :rolleyes: and a guy pulled up in the stall next to me. Regular civilain auto and was dressed very business like. a tie, button down shirt tucked in with khakis and dress shoes. He had a Glock in a holster at 2 Oclock in an OWB holster. there was no badge on his belt (like some detectives have) or any other indication that he was LEO.

It didn't bother me in the slightest, in fact, it felt kinda refreshing to see that another decent "joe" was carrying along side me that day. the only question I wanted to ask him was, "how you like your carry rig, and what model gun you sprotin today"

Couldn't even fathom in my wildest dreams to ask a fellow CCW holder to show me his permit...just ridiculous. If I have a permit for carry, and you don't like it? call the authorities and stick around so you can be put in your place when the LEO tells me to "carry on and have a nice day!"

Again, you handled yourself perfectly. :)

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
"How can I tell if the guy is a law abiding CCW holder or a criminal getting ready to start his business day?"

Very few use a holster for starters.
It makes for one more thing to ditch on the run.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think you handeled it much more polite than I would have, but after reading your responce I will try to remember it if some fool ask me that question. Only thing I would have most likely stood up...just in case he did try something dumb.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think you handled it well. If it does happen to me I will respond by saying " Call a police officer and I will have him show you my permit" "now leave my table and have a nice day" I think he was a cop.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My permit has my social security number on it, and there's no way anyone other than a LEO is going to see it.

I would like to think that I would have reacted and responded in the same exact manner in which you did, buddy. You gave that guy more respect than he deserved, but gentlemen tend to do that.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
brickeyee said:
"How can I tell if the guy is a law abiding CCW holder or a criminal getting ready to start his business day?"

Very few use a holster for starters.
It makes for one more thing to ditch on the run.
You must have better eyes than I do if you can see the print of a gun and the holster. I have trouble seeing the gun print, and never the holster.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts