1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the CMP site and thinking about purchasing an M1 Garand and was wondering if anybody had anything I should know about the guns? I'm assuming they are all in fireable condition and nothing special needs to be done? I'm looking at the $600 range and just don't want to get one only to find out I need to send it out to a gunsmith to have a bunch of stuff done, so just making sure before I purchase only to find out I made a mistake.

Main use would be plinking and Honor Guard usage.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
You might want to head down to the Long Gun area of the forum and search for Garand.

·
Registered
24,344 Posts
Plinking with an M-1 Garand.

I like it. I like it very much.
The honor guard I am not so crazy about as it usually accompanies a fallen hero. :(

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I highly recommend the CMP. you will get a good shooter from them if nothing else. their armorers are very good and make sure all the guns sold are in good mechanical shape, and they are great if you happen to have a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Yes they are great! Search Long Arms, several of us have them, I have 2 service grade Garands. All I did was clean them up, they shoot great.

Here they are out of the box:

·
Registered
122 Posts
You will get a much better rifle for a much better price than you will find anywhere else. There will also be the history. I've heard of people getting a POS from the CMP, but I've never actually seen one. I've bought 10+ and have been happy with every single M1.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! That's what I wanted to know.

And as a member of the Honor Guard I also get to lead the Christmas Parade (but it is also an honor for me to honor a fallen hero, most whom have passed from old age....thank God it's not too many who have just returned home).

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I've got a service grade Garand; Stock has a couple o' dings in it. Metal is GREAT 'cept where the bayonet/grenade launcher would have scuffed her up. Nice bore ( but then again, my barrel was 13 years younger than the rifle /shrug). Well worth the money and the wait.

Get a carbine while you're at it.

·
Administrator
73,982 Posts
Try posting in the proper sub-forums, guys. I'm getting really tired of having to move everybody's posts out of General Discusion every evening that I log on.

Nice Garands, BTW. They're a far cry from the ones I often see at discount stores like Big 5. Theirs always look like they fought in at least a half-dozen wars, each time on the losing side.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Big fun. The hit of the 3 gun in Heavy Metal. Everyone lined up for a couple of shots after it was over. There is just something about a Garand.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
I didn't see a price mentioned, nor have I seen any in the Shotgun News ads. What do they go for?

Never mind, I found the info on the website. Thanks

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
CMP is THE way to go for the purchase of a Garand M1. I first heard of the program in 1991 when I was a 2nd Lt and the going price for one was $225. Good luck and I hope that you get to enjoy the M1.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The CMP is the way to go if you want to get a Garand. They need to be cleaned up and if there is a problem CMP will fix it.
I've purchased Garand's, 1903s, .22 rifles and M1 Carbines in addition to ammo for these and accessories with no problem. You get the genuine thing and a certificate. Some people don't like the paperwork but I have had no problem.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The CMP is the way to go if you want to get a Garand. They need to be cleaned up and if there is a problem CMP will fix it.
I've purchased Garand's, 1903s, .22 rifles and M1 Carbines in addition to ammo for these and accessories with no problem. You get the genuine thing and a certificate. Some people don't like the paperwork but I have had no problem.
What kind of problems do you mean? The site says they are all checked by their gunsmiths, but the purchase form states to take all weapons to a gunsmith to be checked out once you receive the gun.

Just curious what I might need to look out for.

My dad bought a Garand when he was a kid. They were advertised in the back of a comic book for something like $75. Now he wishes he'd bought a few back then!!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
once you buy a garand--it will turn out to be one your your most cherished fire arm--

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
CMP is A great Place to buy your Grand as already said, you can't beat the price on that grade of them..... Also good place to get parts and ammo.......

Clyde

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had one problem after cleaning up a Garand that had a cracked stock (they promptly sent me another stock).

After cleaning and refinishing and test shooting a 1903 I was experiencing a problem with loading cartridges (this was after a year...they promptly sent me the needed spring for the magazine).

I wanted a better barrel on another Garand (I did the bullet test on the muzzle and wanted a tighter muzzle). They went ahead and sent me a replacement barrel and receiver.

The .22s where all fine but if you have any problem they take care of it.

This is the best place in my opinion to get an authentic service rifle. The price is also the best that I have found. They test all the rifles for headspace before they go out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
CMP is a great way to start and to connect with like minded people. Benefits are great. You won't be sorry.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts