1911Forum banner

classic custom or target?

1440 Views 11 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Joe D
Ok, I finally decided on a kimber, now which one is the question. Is the target model worth an additional $80? I want to use it as a carry model as well as target and maybe competitions. Just wondering what you all think since you have all of the experience and I'm looking to begin.

Thanks
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
buy both

i do just fine with the standard snag-free sights that came with my pro carry, as far as acuracy goes. don't know if adjustables are needed for competitions or not. kinda depends on you. since it would be dual duty, i would stray from the adj sights due to the fact that they may print/snag more than the std sights. maybe soemone with more experience can help you out better than i can. good luck. (i still say buy both)

------------------
Nothing like to smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

· Registered
32 Posts
Since Kimber is not very well known for quality adjustable sights, I would stick with the fixed sight model if you are going to carry. I had to replace my rear sight at around 650 rounds because the sight leaf broke off, If it was a carry gun I would have been in big trouble.

Mark

· Registered
338 Posts
I bought both.

Wish I would have bought two Customs rather than one of each. After carrying the Custom I realized that adjustable sights are not essential for carry. For me, they have proven to be a nuisance.

I am planning on replacing the adjustable sight on the Target model with Heinie night sights now that they are available.

Not sure what competition you refer to but they aren't necessary for the IDPA matches I shoot.

Go Custom and decide to upgrade to an adjustable later. If you carry, I doubt you will, though!

Have fun!

· Registered
191 Posts
I think that is really the only difference with the two right? The adjustable sights? Personally I don't mess with adjustable sights on a pistol. Especially for carry. I agree with the other member posts on its potential to cause some problems. That's why I bought the classic.

· Registered
53 Posts
LowDraw's Got it..

Classic, or suffer.

I shoot 230 Gr ball outta the .45 - It works every time (if you clean the pistol once in a while...) Hits QUITE nicely to the point of aim... (grin)

Now I do have one of the only Kimber Pro CDP models that actually work... (LOL)

Put the $$$ into ammo. You won't be sorry!

· Registered
2,691 Posts
Here is how I see and do it. I have both a Kimber Classic Stainless Target (CST) and a Classic Stainless (CS). I carry the CS and I compete with the CST. For carry go with fixed sights and what ever you can shoot and carry easily. I find a lot of reassurance with an all steel .45 on my hip.

For IDPA, or what ever competition you want to get into, adjustable sights are best for me. Why, because I am always playing with my loads to find out which one is the best. I have used a standard post as well as fiber optic fronts. Having different fronts means you have to be able to re-sight in with ammo of the day and whatever you have up front.

Others have had problems with the Kimber adjustable rear. Mine is doing quite well with several thousand rounds down range. If it breaks, a Bomar will replace it.

If this is to be a one gun for all things, go with fixed sights. It is just more efficient.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

· Registered
237 Posts
John's got it right...for CARRY, go with fixed sights...for COMPETITION (read "GAMES"), go with the adjustable sights. While some people have claimed to have had problems with the Kimber adjustable rear, my Stainless Target is over two years old and I've not had any problems...AND, if you ever do, BoMar makes a drop-in replacement for the Kimber adjustable...can't get a better sight than BoMar!!!....mikey357

· Registered
700 Posts
I opted for the Classic a year ago. No complaints. A friend has broke 4 adjustable sights on his Target. Not worth the hassle IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.