1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Custom Classic Series I. Many years ago, I put on Kimber branded Mepro Slant Night Sights 3rd Gen. It shot a little higher after putting those sights on. Now, 10 years and thousands of rounds later, the point of impact has shifted higher. 2-3" high at 7 yards.

Is there anything other than the front sight height that would cause the POI to go higher? The front sight height hasn't changed in 10 years, so I want to investigate other causes. It doesn't happen when I shoot other guns, so I don't think its me.

·
Banned
444 Posts
"...Custom Classic Series I. Many years ago, I put on Kimber branded Mepro Slant Night Sights 3rd Gen. It shot a little higher after putting those sights on. Now, 10 years and thousands of rounds later, the point of impact has shifted higher. 2-3" high at 7 yards.

Is there anything other than the front sight height that would cause the POI to go higher? The front sight height hasn't changed in 10 years, so I want to investigate other causes. It doesn't happen when I shoot other guns, so I don't think its me.
Have one 15+ years old, well north of 10K, stock sights by choice, never had that occur. All things being equal, no noticeable sight damage/shift, you/your grip, eyesight consistent etc., maybe consider the easy stuff first, e.g. barrel bushing wear. I swapped my stock part long ago not due to wear but for cosmetic reasons but of the two, never had a bushing issue but that's still something easy and cheap to look at. Admittedly, I'd expect accuracy and grouping to broadly be impacted versus just "going high" but think about it. Also, barrel wear but...not so much?

That's odd and a big shift to suddenly move 2"-3" and ONLY high at a scant 7 yards, something definitely amiss and if its "only high" still sounds like either the shooter or the sights versus other. Bench it and if you can, better proof for you.

Good luck on a resolve, great gun.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Did you change ammo? I have had POI change with different ammo. Not that much on my 45's , but easily that much on some of my high end 22 rifles.

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
Just a few grains of powder changes my POA | POI in my 10mm. Also, in that time, have you started to wear reading or other types of glasses?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Ammo will as mentioned change POI from lot to lot.

I have a gun with adjustable targets sights. It came with the rear sight just slightly off center, though it wasn't really noticeable. What was noticeable though, was the rear sight was bottomed out and it was still shooting high.

When I finally noticed the rear sight was off center. I removed it and centered it. Now it shoots just fine without being bottomed out. I think I have about 10 clicks before bottom now.

I don't know why a rear sight being off center made my gun shoot high, but it did.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the responses. I don't think it's me. My shooting buddy has the same problem with my Kimber. I hadn't thought about the ammo. I'll try several different loads next time I go out and see how I do supported on the bench.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts