1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the loading manual when it says "Clays", does that mean Clays, Universal Clays, or International(?) Clays? Some manuals seem to just list Clays, but then I see the Sierra manual says "Univ. Clays" but nothing under simply Clays.

I asked the guy at the gun shop and he said "uhh, I think..." Wasn't too sure of himself.

Also, does this meter ok in the Dillon 550B? I heard it may not. I was thinking of trying a cleaner powder since the Bullseye I use is dirty. I like it minus the extra grime.

Any help is approeciated!

·
Registered
684 Posts
It's plain old "Clays"

If they mean Universal or other variations, they will say so specifically. And I load Clays for .45ACP in a Dillon 550B and it meters just fine. Lots of people post here that they think it's a real clean burning powder. I don't find that to be true with my loads. I am shooting 3.8grs. of Clays under 200grain lead rn bullets, with winchester large pistol primers. Very nice, soft-shooting load for the range, but lots of smoke and black residue, compared to the storebought Remington/UMC hardball I also shoot. That said, I like it because it is also the prime ingredient in my load for skeet and sporting clays and 5 stand so one powder does it all for me. And it's good to come home dirty because then my wife knows where I have been. And where I have NOT been. ;-)

·
Registered
838 Posts
I load (plain)Clays for .45 IPSC(170pf) load. It meters fairly well on my 550, generally +/- 0.1gr. I have found W231, Titegroup and VV N320 meters more accurately in my press. YMMV.

While Clays is one of the cleanest powder I have tried on my .45 loads, I have found that it needs to near it's max load to be clean. One of my most accurate load, 3.7gr with Montana Gold 230gr CMJ, is quite dirty but it sure shoots a nice tight hole. :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have used Clays a little and found it to be quite clean but I have found very few lead bullets to be low smoke and low dirt. Most of the problem I have found is with the lubes that are used on the lead bullets. There was an outfit in NJ of all places that made hard swaged lead bullets. Yes I know I have never found them anywhere else. His bullets and lube were great clean and very accurate. Back in the days of old when I shot IHMSA in 41mag or 44mag these bullets were great.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I shoot 3.7-3.8 gr of Clays with 200 gr LSWC as a target load and find it to be the cleanest burning powder in light loads that I have yet tried (vs. W231, TiteGroup, Red Dot, Unique and Bullseye). Personally, I find it is one of the few powders that doesn't have to be near a full load to burn cleanly. All that I get is a little black ashy residue in the chamber almost regardless of how many rounds I shoot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts