1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1 pound can of Universal clays a while back. This is my first foray into clays powder; i usually shoot 231. I see a lot of reference to 'Clays' in the reloading area. Does this terminology refer to Clays or Universal Clays or International Clays? Which of the 3 is the most popular for 45 with lead bullets (200 or 230 grain)? The Hodgdon site only has data for jacketed; what is the rule of thumb when comparing bullet weight of jacketed to the same in lead regarding charges? Thanks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I believe the repeated references are to just plain Clays as opposed to Universal Clays or International Clays.

I think just plain Clays is the most popular powder of the series for 45ACP applications.

For lead and jacketed bullets of the same weight, the lead bullet will be faster for a given amount of powder. As I understand it, the lead bullet will have less friction going through the barrel.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It is indeed just plain Clays. It is very clean burning, especially in light loads, compared to other powders which tend to need more pressure to burn cleanly. Metering is average, and it has a relatively narrow spread from minimum to maximum charges. I would not expect similar performance from Universal Clays, which I have not tried. As you see from the Hodgdon site, Universal Clays is also recommended for .45 ACP.

One of the ranges where I shoot keeps a library of slightly older reloading manuals for reference; if it was me I would check these for min/max loads for Universal with lead bullets before making my own. Start at a midpoint and develop a series of ten or so rounds with each series increasing the charge slightly until you find what you and your gun likes. As always err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I use 5.6gr of Universal (Univeral Clays) behind a 230gr plated bullet. It is pretty mild. I load plated according to jacketed data, some do according to lead data.

My 45acp reloading book says the following for a 200gr cast LSWC @ 1.225OAL:

Starting
6.0 gr 865 fps 12900CUP

MAX
6.7gr 981fps 16600CUP

Brian

·
Registered
356 Posts
Clays is a fast burning powder.
Universal Clays is a medium burning powder, similar to Unique.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts