1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondering from all your experiences, which powder have you found to be the cleanest and most accurate when loading for a 200gr jacketed bullet. I hear from a lot of people that Winchester 231 is very accurate, but it's also dirty. What's a good clean and accurate powder for 9mm for 124gr jacketed bullets? Are there any powders that will work for both? Thanks.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Red Dot is the cleanest and most accurate powder I have used. I use it for both .45 and 9mm. It is a relatively fast burning powder, and is also very economical.

If you decide to try it, make sure you get the Alliant Red Dot. Previously, it was manufactured by Hercules and was significantly dirtier. A lot of dealers still have old stock of the Hercules version - try to avoid it.

·
Banned
217 Posts
W231 is a so-so powder, but Hodgdon Clays is much better. I've used both and I don't use W231 anymore.

Hodgdon Clays, Not Universal Clays, not International Clays, just plain old Clays. Great stuff.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Bullseye for first choice, followed by IMR 700-X.

Bullseye works well for reduced loads, especially for the 625 reovolver. It doesn't leave much residue.
Currently, I'm using 700-X for IDPA in the 1911 45. 700-X also works well if your 9mm prefers a slower burning powder.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

·
Registered
194 Posts
JohnUF78 - For 9mm, Universal Clays is a great match. Clean burn, good metering, for target or major. Clays is a little fast but not bad, just doesn't meter very good..........I still don't understand the TiteGroup following though....... nastiest stuff I ever used in 45 ACP with big flakey unburned stuff all over the place...even worse than Bulleye. .....Tree Rat.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I use Clays for my target loads. Very good stuff.

However, one of the best I've used yet is Alliant Power Pistol. Clean burning, and boy, does it work well! My favorite so far is 6.8 grains under 230 grain ball. Good hardball load.

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Having very good results with VV N310.

IDPA loads are, 200gr West Coast or Rainier, 4.6gr N310, and for 230gr West Coast, 4.3gr N310.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm currently using Unv. Clays and it works pretty clean in my 9mm, but it leaves a lot of residue in my 45. I talked to Hodgon about this and they told me that Unv. Clays likes to work at higher pressures and told me Tightgroup would be very clean in my 45. I also asked him about the Vihourti powders and said that Tightgroup and was much much cleaner than any of the Vihvtouri powders. He told me that Hodgon could have bought powder from them, but decided on Tightgroup because it was cleaner. Has any done a comparason between the two. I was thinking about getting some N340 for both my 9mm and 45.... 124 and 200gr loads respectively. Has anyone used N340 for both? How clean and how accurate is this powder? Thanks for all your responses so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used VV N340 for the last two years in my Kimber 40s and 45s and I liked it very much. However, I've just switched to Accurate Arms #5. The VV just got a little expensive (at about 25 bucks a pound locally). I have only shot the AA 5 a couple of times and it seems just fine with very little residue. I only have a couple of years of reloading experience, so I am certainly no expert. Kristopher

·
Registered
323 Posts
I currently use VV N340 in .40 S&W, .45 ACP and 38 Super Duper (+P). In relative terms it is one of the cleaner powders and they show a loading for 9mm Luger. I haven't loaded 9mm Luger since my Unique days. Unique is a wonderful powder, but I wouldn't describe it in any way as a clean powder.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I have found that W231 meters well, produces accurate mid-range loads, and doesn't seem to be any more "dirty" than other powders I have used. I have never loaded it "hot", but then again I don't do this with any powder, choosing to reload for practice but trusting the "big boys" for my carry ammo.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Red Dot or Clays is the cleanest for moderate power loads, They both meter very well in my DILLON loader. The pistol and mags stay cleaner, low flash also..

·
Registered
416 Posts
I tested Viht 310, Red Dot, Clays, and Titegroup. 4" barrel with 200gr XTPs.

Red Dot 5gr: Cleanest, made this one of my standard powders. FPS 800-850.

Clays 5gr: Cleanliness comparable to Red Dot, low FPS 730-760.

Viht 310, 4gr: Little dirtier than Red Dot, FPS 850-900.

Titegroup 5gr: Dirty stuff, FPS 850-880

COMMENTS:

Viht N310: I would like to shoot this powder, but I bought this pound a Perry for $16. Don't know if I will have a steady supply or cost to make it one of the standard powders.

Titegroup: I will finish off what I have left, but fire no more than 100 through per session.

Clays: I have a free endless supply of this powder. Get it from a trap shooter (my Dad) that will keep this powder on my bench.

Red Dot: Good stuff!

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts