1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

This has probably been discussed before, but I can't find it, so sorry if it's redundant. I have a Hornady LnL AP progressive reloader that I've never used; I have always loaded in a single station press. I'm about to set it up and will be doing a batch of .45ACP. (RP +P nickel cases, CCI #300, 4.0 gr Bullseye, 200 gr LSWC, FWIW.)

Given that's it's a progressive and the first station is decapping and resizing, followed immediately by priming, I guess they assume one won't be cleaning primer pockets, but just cleaning brass before decapping. That bothers me a bit. The only decapping device I have now is the pin in the resizing die. I don't want to put dirty cases in the die. In the past I've cleaned cases twice, before and after decapping/resizing.

What do other folks do? Is it OK to clean brass with the primers in and then go straight to the press?

FWIW, I'm using a Lee three die set, and have the bullet feeder die and bullet feeder tubes, and will be only manually placing empty cases.

Thanks in advance for any discussion and insight on this.

jv

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I clean my brass in a vibratory tumbler. Mainly to knock the dirt off of it. It will still have stains on it.

Then I dump it in the collator and load it. I've been doing it that way for years. It shoots just fine. I can't come close to the accuracy of the ammo I produce.

Reactions: boatdoc

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I have a $15 universal decapping die and a Lee SS in the garage that I use ahead of wet tumbling. Then load on a 550. Some don't care to clean primer pockets, while some of us do. To me it's a matter of hygiene, not accuracy. I load in my home office, so no dirty brass comes inside.

Is it OK to clean brass with the primers in and then go straight to the press?
Depends. If you wet tumble with primers in, then NO, you have to dry them out completely. If you vibratory clean, you can load after separating media.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Depends on how you clean your brass. I use a dry tumbler so I clean before I decap and resize, but my understanding is that if you are using a wet tumbler, you want to decap before cleaning.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Theres no right or wrong but you can save yourself time and effort by not cleaning twice. I'll lube and FLS/decapp dirty rifle brass, and then tumble it wet (or dry method). A lot of how I do my reloading depends on what mood I'm in and what caliber it is. I haven't foudn that one way or the other is right or wrong. The only thing that Ive read is people don't want dirty brass through their dies for whatever reason they've made up to justify it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Dry tumble and load. Never cleaned a primer pocket in our life. And, there was a time when we didn't even clean cases; didn't have a tumbler until we went progressive and started loading in volume in the '70s.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I do an hour or so in a dry tumbler. Then decap and resize. After that I clean with a Franklin Armory wet tumbler. With stainless pins and quarter teaspoon of Lemishine and two caps of Turtle wash and wax. I don't like handling dirty brass in my press/dies. I like it shiny. It makes it easy to find on the ground or floor of the range.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I like to size/decap my brass in my Pacific 007 single stage press , then throw them in the tumbler again. I use fine ground walnut. It does not get stuck in flash holes and it does seem to clean primer pockets. Also ''pre-sizing'' requires less effort when running thru my Dillon 550B.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
If you seat your primers properly, there will be very little residue to worry about. If you decap and tumble your cases prior to loading, any loose carbon will get knocked out of the pockets. I run all my brass through my LnL AP and use a Universal Decapping die to remove the fired primer. Cases are then tumbled to keep dirt out of the sizing die. I also primer by hand and put up brass in plastic tubs against future need. So, at load time, I size brass (which is already primed), dump powder, and seat the bullet. That process goes very fast since I don't have to fool with decapping and repriming during the load process. By doing that as a separate step, I can also inspect and get rid of any cases that are worn out, split, enlarged pockets, etc. Priming can be done while watching TV and old movies, providing another chance to inspect cases. Been doing it this way for 30+ years, and can't remember the last time I had a bad load due to a case failure of any kind.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I deprime, media tumble, lubricate before hitting the press. I have found that depriming on the press gets it very dirty from the primer crud, and makes a mess of the press.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
If you seat your primers properly, there will be very little residue to worry about. If you decap and tumble your cases prior to loading, any loose carbon will get knocked out of the pockets. I run all my brass through my LnL AP and use a Universal Decapping die to remove the fired primer. Cases are then tumbled to keep dirt out of the sizing die. I also primer by hand and put up brass in plastic tubs against future need. So, at load time, I size brass (which is already primed), dump powder, and seat the bullet. That process goes very fast since I don't have to fool with decapping and repriming during the load process. By doing that as a separate step, I can also inspect and get rid of any cases that are worn out, split, enlarged pockets, etc. Priming can be done while watching TV and old movies, providing another chance to inspect cases. Been doing it this way for 30+ years, and can't remember the last time I had a bad load due to a case failure of any kind.
In my opinion you're negating the advantages of a progressive press. Of course having cursed at the Hornady LnL AP priming system I can understand why you prime off the press.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I deprime, media tumble, lubricate before hitting the press. I have found that depriming on the press gets it very dirty from the primer crud, and makes a mess of the press.
That's what they make brushes and air compressors for.

I've got spent primer mods on my 650 presses. Almost all the crud goes into the container under the strong mount.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Hornady LnL. Thinking of moving to a Dillon. Maybe.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
If you're in the DFW area you're welcome to come on over and play with my Dillons.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I moved from a 500B to the LNL AP due to the former destroying too many precious 25-20WCF cases despite trying everything tech support suggested. I never put dirty cases in my press, and have had very few priming problems. That said, I did modify the press by mounting an extremely bright blue LED underneath the shellholder right after the priming station so I can tell if a case is unprimed before the powder dump.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wish I had an electric thing that I could dump cases into and it would just decap them. Even if I had to manually align them in a channel or some such feeding mechanism it would be worth it. Well, even if I had to hand-crank it, it would be great. Maybe there's a project in there. Then I could tumble and then go to the progressive press.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I wish I had an electric thing that I could dump cases into and it would just decap them.
Same here.

JMorris has built a sorter and I think a decapper- I'm now at a place in life that I'd pay for a decapping machine.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I wish I had an electric thing that I could dump cases into and it would just decap them. Even if I had to manually align them in a channel or some such feeding mechanism it would be worth it. Well, even if I had to hand-crank it, it would be great. Maybe there's a project in there. Then I could tumble and then go to the progressive press.
Same here.

JMorris has built a sorter and I think a decapper- I'm now at a place in life that I'd pay for a decapping machine.
Dillon CP2000 and a auto drive, just dump them in and hit the switch.

Reactions: joe 45 and flechero
1 - 20 of 36 Posts