1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a shotgun slug barrel show a greater amount of difference between shooting it clean vs dirty. I know rifles barrels will show a little difference in group size, but will a slug show a greater difference?

I grouped the shotgun while it had a dirty barrel. Cleaned it and at 100 yds the shot went high 5". Don't have alot of money to be shooting $1.50 slugs, just wondered if this is normal.

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Saboted slugs seem to be more sensitive to barrel residue than lead 1oz rifled slugs in my experience. Your results seem extreme but possible. I've only seen about 1-1/12" group variance through rifled barreled shotguns firing saboted rounds. Since you stated the $1.50 price tag I assume you are refering to sabotted slugs. You are using a rifled barrel for these aren't you??

Rick

------------------
"I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." -- John Wayne *The Shootist*

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick,
Oh yes, Deerslayer II rifled barrel with Lightfield 1,1/4 oz hybrid sabot slugs.

------------------

·
Registered
697 Posts
Possibly lubricant or powder solvent residue had an effect on that first shot after cleaning. Might want to put a couple of more through it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

At 100yds

Must have figured something out!

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts