1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my first 1911 in about a month. What is the best type of lubricant that I can get for my SA TRP. I believe from things that I have read in the past there was a certain type of synthetic, that someone recommended. I can't remember the name. Any cleaning kits that are better than the others?

·
Banned
855 Posts
I use FP-10 for lubing and cleaning.
Also clean bores with Shooters Choice Lead Remover, which works fast, and has MT-10 (same family as FP-10) to help prevent further leading.
JM

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Depends on use and environment - I'd say FP10 for a default

What does Springfield say?

Depends on use and environment - I'd say FP10 for a default.

Don't overlook Brian Enos Slide Glide for a range gun or a school but perhaps not for a cold soak at -20. I'm pretty sure the grease and oil Bill Wilson sells works - I liked the stuff that came with my Wilson gun but FP10 is a little easier to find over the counter around here. I'd be happy with the Wilson but happier still not to mail order it. Wilson's books and videos strike me as pretty good.

I like my bright yellow Parker Hale rods with jags for tow but anything new is Dewey. I have some stainless non rotating pistol rods in nice zipper cases for assorted calibers - may have been Pachmayr - I carry in my pistol box but I don't see any kits per se on the market today that I really like.

Kits seem to lean exclusively toward cleaning the barrel and don't pay enough attention to the rails, the breach face and all the toothbrush style places.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use Eezox for my 1911, and Ball bearing grease for the lube.. It works awesome, and if you carry daily the lube wont drip into your holster.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My preferences

I clean mine with Hoppe's #9, lube it with FP-10 and give the outside a coat of Eezox for protection. I've had great success with the TRP, hope you enjoy the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts