1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read on some of the posts that it takes some of you 5 to 10 minutes to clean your gun after shooting. I'm a newbie in the 1911 circuit with a Colt Government Model 80 and a Kimber CDP Pro, and I'm afraid to tell you how long it takes me to clean either one of these guns. It takes me that long just to do the barrel. Am I being to thorough? I've learned a great deal from reading all of your posts and any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Don't feel bad, I usually spend 30 minutes to an hour cleaning mine after a good range trip (200 rounds or so). That's not a detail strip either!

It's my gun & it's not clean until "I" say it is... that takes however long it takes

Mac

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
20-30 mins for myself

------------------
The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person . . . from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher. . . . Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from a 300 round shoot with the Colt after having a Wilson Beaver tail saftey grip, Ed Brown hammer, Wilson ambi safety (I'm a lefty), Wilson main spring housing (the Colts was plastic)installed, and the barrell throated and polished. Personal best was achieved at 10 yards! Feel terrific, and don't care if it takes all night to clean!!! Just wanted to share. Thanks for interest.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
gmanpma, welcome to the forum. Enjoy your 1911's.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
When I practiced a lot and shot 4 matches a week (Sat,Sun,Tues.night & Thurs. night) I cleaned my gun about once a week.

When through with practice session would shoot a mag of hardball to clear out a little lead from the barrel, then wipe it down until the next event. Then I'd put a drop of lube at the top of the barrel hood where it mates with the front of the ejection port on top, cycle the slide a few times and load up.

Sometimes I would lock the slide back and clean the breechface with a rag and make sure there wasn't crud around the extractor.
I never had a malfunction with that gun in over 100,000 rounds and the barrel didn't wear out at all - still accurate.

Then I shot a compensated .45 pistol with a cone lock up (like a bull barrel)for a year, followed by a .38 super. Had to clean the lead out of the compensator on the super because the lead would melt and coat the inside of it. Still didn't spend much time cleaning - spent time producing reloaded ammo and shooting the ammo down range. No malfunctions at all. If a gun set up to run, it will run and run and run.

Placed in top 50 at USPSA Nationals in Dallas in 1986. I did clean my gun every night at the nationals, but made sure to get a few practice rounds through it to dirty it up before competition.

Most people spend too much time cleaning their guns IMHO. For some people, though, it's a religious experience, a Zen moment, like a meditation - relaxing. Don't want to take that away from anyone.

Good shooting!

------------------
"Your aim in life is not worth anything if you don't pull the trigger."

[This message has been edited by tonerguy (edited 08-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Originally posted by gmanpma:
Personal best was achieved at 10 yards! Feel terrific, and don't care if it takes all night to clean!!! Just wanted to share. Thanks for interest.

That's the spirit!

Mac

[This message has been edited by Maclean3 (edited 08-05-2001).]

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I clean any of my weapons, I take quite awhile to clean just one. I just enjoy the beauty of every part and how it was made. I think it takes me long because I just watch T.V. and take my time to clean. Its like a total zen moment when cleaning when I become one with the weapon. Don't worry about how long others may take to clean their weapons. Just enjoy and concentrate on cleaning yours

------------------
kanak

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do enjoy the cleaning process. Thought that maybe I was a bit wierd. Glad to see I have company. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,625 Posts
I don’t clean pistols till them jam, or before a big match. Kinda one of those if it ain’t broke things… I won’t take a clean gun to a match. After cleaning, I put 100 rounds through it, just to be sure.

A complete clean, detail strip, takes me 20 minutes as I am looking for new wear marks, cracks, ect. I spend maybe 5 minutes on the barrel.

But, I don’t shoot lead. When I did, I spent 30-45 minutes cleaning after every practice and match.

Rifles I clean a lot. My 17 bolt gun gets cleaned every 25-ish rounds. My AR/SR's get cleaned every couple hundred rounds. Other bolt guns get cleaned at the range after shooting, regardless of how many rounds were shot.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
166 Posts
In all honesty, my minimum is 1 hour on a pistol depending how many rounds I shot through it.

------------------
Protect LIFE...you only have ONE.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Seems like the Zen moments are more intense when I use a really strong solvent......

Reality for me is about an hour if I'm watching TV and sitting on the floor, 30 min if I'm at my workbench and paying close attention to what I'm doing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've never timed myself. I just clean them till they're clean.

[This message has been edited by JohnL (edited 08-06-2001).]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts