1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for a cleaning kit (never baught one before) not saying iv never cleaned the gun but just never had my own kit.

iv preaty much decided on lubes and solvents (hoppes 9). im seeing some kits with just bore brushes and some with toothbrush likes ones and ones with fabric swabs as big ass bore brushes.

heres my questions. do you realy need the tooth brush style brushes or can q-tips or simple manipulation of a bore brush you dont use do the trick.

and those big fabric swabs are those instead of patches, use one soaked in solvent/oil and then use a 2nd to dry?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
im looking for a cleaning kit (never baught one before) not saying iv never cleaned the gun but just never had my own kit.

iv preaty much decided on lubes and solvents (hoppes 9). im seeing some kits with just bore brushes and some with toothbrush likes ones and ones with fabric swabs as big ass bore brushes.

heres my questions. do you realy need the tooth brush style brushes or can q-tips or simple manipulation of a bore brush you dont use do the trick.

Yes you need them

and those big fabric swabs are those instead of patches, use one soaked in solvent/oil and then use a 2nd to dry?
NO, a mop is used for wiping down (mopping)

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
You need some sort of brush. You can use one of the brushes described or even an old nylon toothbrush (get the toothpaste out first :) ). You can use an old bore brush, but make sure it's one you are not going to scrub the bore with. Scrubbing with it will likely break the bristles making it less effective as a bore brush.

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you mention "fabric swabs." Are you talking about a bore snake? Typically, using patches, soak one in solvent, run through the barrel and let set for a couple of minutes. Follow with a bore brush soaked in solvent (push it all the way out the end before reversing to keep from breaking the bristles). Then run a dry patch through. You may have to run three or four through. If very dirty, you might have to run another solvent soaked patch through followed by dry patches.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
This will probably disturb you but...... Have a brass bore brush for the caliber and Hoppes is A#1 plus a few toothbrush like brushes,a good wipedown rag (I start with an Outers and over time turn it into a Breakfree rag) and a few finely made multiple shaped pointed scribes.I only use 1/4 of this 3/4 of the time since I stopped shooting target load lead (slow moving and causing leading probs).Since I changed to shooting jackets or plated I basically don't clean my barrel,only the chamber by twisting the bore brush soaked with Hoppe's and drying-no stainless brushes allowed on a firearm period unless it's not a bore brush to knock off the top before finishing with a softer brush!

Keep the gun clean and lubed,Breakfree,RemOil and a few others are great lubes but don't freak over a spotless bore,you'll probably ruin it quicker by scrubbing it spotless than by just shooting it and gingerly keeping the chamber clean.Search Sheumman (sp?) barrels and read his take on barrels-and he's one of the top 2 (might be the last if memory serves right) that knows his s.... about what's happening if you aren't a hardcore long range rifleman.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I'll say it kinda depends upon how dillagent you are about cleaning your guns. The more you put off cleaning your gun, the more numerous and aggressive the tools you will need. If you are a strict clean your $hit person like me and clean you gun after each use, you don't really need much because you won't get a lot of caked on build up (like you would if you put it off), hence most residue wipes off easily.

As pertains to pistols, what you NEED:
-A cleaning rod
-A brush for each caliber you have
-a jig of some kind to push swabs through the bore (caliber specific ones work best)
-Solvent
-Oil
- Q tips (took me years before I found out how useful these little honey's are for wiping out tight spots or applying lube, how did I get along without them?)

Things I highly recomend:
-A plastic box with compartments to keep all your stuff together and organized
-Some kind of cloth to protect your working surface (I use an old sleeping bag since I usually work over a pool table or coffee table that I would get in big troub's for spilling solvent on)

I don't buy cleaning patches. Waste of money. I've mostly used paper towels over the years, sometimes I do cut patches from an old t-shirt (advantage there is they are more durable when wet and do a little better job, but not always as convienet as a paper towel)

I do keep an old toothbrush around, but I don't use it much. Like I said, I clean my guns every time I use them, so most of the residue whipes right off. Sometimes when I do get build up in little corners, nooks or crannies, I use a toothpick or a small flat screw driver to scrape it loose, then wipe it off.

Best advice I can give you is don't put off cleaning. I've been cleaning my and my friends guns for years. The longer you wait to clean, the harder they are to get clean. Its easiest when they are still warm. its hardest when my friends give me a gun that has 400 rounds through it since its last cleaning last year...:bawling: oh well, fun things to take apart and clean while I watch TV:biglaugh:

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Cleaning kit?

1. Bore Snake.
2. Tooth brush.
3. Bottle of CLP.

Nothing exotic involved. This ain't benchrest and corrosive primers haven't been used in 60 years.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Hoppes Solvent
FP-10 Lube
Patches
Coated Cleaning Rod
Brass Bore Brushes
Jag
CLP- To remove Solvent and prevent Rust.
Carb cleaner to clean brushes
Q-Tips to clean extractor and FP channels
Tooth Pics for the nooks and crannies and aligning frame pins/parts
Brass punch for MSH/Frame pin

·
Registered
39 Posts
Q-tips and Stim-U-Dents!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts