1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my Classic Custom Target II with adjustable sights. Christmas present so the wife took it away from me, but come 12/26/01 I'll be at the range. What do you folks use for cleaning and lube work. I'll be shooting mostly lead ammo (all that's allowed indoor. Thanks folks.
bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why the hell would anyone require you to shoot lead indoors? I would consider moving to a different range if you shoot actively. TMJ is pretty much the best way to go indoors, provided the trap is adequate. If the trap is inadequate, I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting even lead. Lots of people use lots of stuff. Birchwood Casey makes good cleaning products, as does Outer's and Hoppe's. Just be careful about how you do things and make it a regular diet of shooting, cleaning, and inspecting for wear. There is a pretty thorough article in the Guns and Ammo special issue "the Complete Book of the Combat 1911". The magazine should be available in news stands or from the web site.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Bob

For cleaning products I like low tech. I use Hoppes #9 for solvent and usually old fashioned gun grease. I have had battering problems with teflon and molly based lubricants so I avoid them except on the trigger parts. Depending on the brand of ammo you shoot, or the brand/alloy of bullets you reload with, you may need to consider a lead solvent to clean your barrel easier. Or a harder bullet. Experience will be your best guide.

Concerning the use of lead bullets at an indoor range, if the ventallation systems is good there is no problem using lead bullets. Plus they are probably safer than copper jacketed, since there is a lower probablility of splatter coming back and hitting someone. In my experience the trap is not the problem, it is an inexperienced shooter hitting the target carrier, which may be set a bit close. If you are concerned about using lead indoors talk with the range people. They probably have the right answers for your.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have just started a new cleaning system. I am using M Pro 7 cleaner. It really WORKS!!! The first time that I used it, it did take a bit longer. But the more I use it, the easier and the quicker it goes. You must lube the gun well, as this cleaner cleans everything out down to the bare metal!

I have also started using Gun Grease from ProTek. I am pretty sure that is the brand name. It works quite well. Even though I live in the desert, it does get quite cold here in the winter. And I find that conventional lubes just don't work as well. This new Gun Grease stays put in the gun, and it makes the slide feel like water running over glass. So Smooth.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I use Hoppe's #9 powder solvent and Shotter's Choice FP-10 lubricant ,have had good luck and cleans easy.
And just let her wrap up the empty box(thats what I did).

LIVE FREE OR DIE

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm new to 1911, and just got my first one also, Kimber. I noticed in the book, it said not to use grease which is what I use on some other guns I have. Is Breakfree CLP okay to use. I've already got bottles and bottles of stuff laying around, I'm trying to avoid spending more on cleaning than shooting.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use M Pro 7 gel. It really cleans. Try it on a new barrel and see how dirty a barrel comes from the factory!

·
Registered
769 Posts
There's a lot of stuff that works. I use Hoppes no9 and no.9 benchrest for the barrell. I also use Ed's Red. To lube I use Tetra which is especially recomended for stainless or hard chrome guns. Anything with teflon is a good idea for those finishes. I also like RB-17 for cleaning copper out of barrells. I've not used anything else that makes the bore shine like that stuff does.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've used Hoppes number 9 and Breakfree CLP for years on almost everything I've owned and have never had any problems I've also used FP-10 with the same results. I use Pro Gold Lube on the slide rails, but just a little dab and my Kimber works just fine.
Regards SonnyD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts