1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I want to say that I have just bought my 1st Kimber (SS Custom). I only wish I had shot one years ago! I traded in my Glock, much to the surprise of my friends, which I had owned for over 10 years. There is no comparison.

A question about cleaning. After the gun has been taken down, look into the top of the frame. On the right side, there is a rather narrow channel, that a normal width cleaning brush is to wide to fit into easily.

I tried the thin end of a nylon cleaning brush, but it seems to need a bronze brush.

How do you clean this channel? Do they make thinner bronze brushes?

Thanks,

A very happy Kimber owner!!!

Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
The only "implement" I use beyond a toothbrush are a few pipe cleaners. My Custom is the matte black finish so I avoid using a metal brush on the frame and slide.

------------------
Steve

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<>> ultrared, sometimes q-tips will get in where brushes may not. i use them quite a bit when cleaning my handguns. raspy

[This message has been edited by raspy (edited 08-05-2001).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
For small areas like that I usually use a cleaning patch wrapped around a wooden popsicle stick. I recently saw a recomendation for using chopsticks as well.

Since they are so cheap and made of wood you can use a knife to cut them to an appropriate size and shape.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use Hoppes No. 9 to get all the gun powder residue off. I only use a bronze brush on the feed ramp and barrel ends. Most other small crevices can be cleaned with a Q-tip. Make sure you lube the right areas just like in the manual. Enjoy your new Kimber and welcome to the forum!

------------------
"Ain't nothin' like a finely-tuned 1911..."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts