1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to clean corrosion (in this case, mostly fingerprints that have been allowed to corrode the metal) off nickel-plated surfaces ... specificially, off nickel-plated gun steel?

(Why a cheat? Well, it's possible that the gun with the crusted-on fingerprints isn't a 1911.)

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I went looking around the 'Net, and I found at least two answers. Water, household ammonia (50-50 mix), and a dab of dishwashing soap will do it, or so some say.

I also found two places where Easy Off Oven Cleaner, the heavy duty version, is recommended. You slather it on, cook the gun in a 200 degree oven for 10 minutes, then wash the gunk off with water, and the nickel finish shines like the helmets of a Marine flag detail.

------------------

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
Nickel can tarnish...especially on the "matte" surfaces where the nickel was applied over bead-blasted steel. Use some silver polish and a soft rag (and some elbow grease) and it'll generally clean right up.

ROsco

·
Registered
281 Posts
Depending on the make of your gun, the nickel finish may be underlain with copper, and so ammonia is not a good thing to let stand on it.

I use Flitz metal polish on a rag, patch or Q-tip, depending on the size of the are to be polished. I finish up by wiping the residue off with CLP. More than one polishing may be required. My nickel gun is a Colt Govt. .380.

Regards.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is actually my uncle's Cowboy Commemorative, a Winchester '94 with a nickeled receiver. He's getting pretty old, and he has been going through a series of breaks - one hip, then the other hip, then his left leg. So he hasn't been upstairs in a long time, and his '94 is needing attention. I thought I might clean off the fingerprints and other corroded/tarnished/whatever areas.

The affected areas are not tarnished in the way I usually understand the word. The corrosion or whatever isn't black like silver tarnish; it is almost white, and it's very slightly raised. It isn't just a discoloration.

I don't know what's under the nickel finish. Anyone know how Winchester did these receivers?

------------------

·
Registered
281 Posts
Best wishes to your uncle. I would try first just some CLP or Hoppe's or gun oil on a rag and see if it wipes off. I would ask a gunsmith or other expert before using ammonia-based cleaners.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, Ledbetter. My uncle is a good old guy. He actually never hunted anything deer-sized or larger. Mostly squirrels and rabbits, with an occasional grouse or turkey. He bought the Model 1894 "just 'cause".

I did try "washing" the crud off with WD-40 and a cloth, but that didn't work. It doesn't soak off or scrub off that way; at least, not with the amount of rubbing I did, which was a fair amount.
I didn't want to try anything else until I knew a bit more about what I might be doing.

At least, after all that scrubbing with WD-40, I'll bet the problem isn't getting any worse.

------------------

·
Registered
57 Posts
No matter what you get to work ... afterwards rub in a thin film of Mil-Comm Products'
TW-25B lubricant protectant. even the body of the gun. This will not only protect your gun from future corrosion, but enhance performance. Kleen-Bore sells it under their label too, including an oil version, for those of you who have that preference. www.bestdefense.com has both. glockmeister, tillman and others carry 25 online too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts