1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - I am on my way to town today to get a tumbler and some media to start tumbling my brass. One question - what is the quickest and most efficient method of cleaning dust & media residue from the tumbled brass? Also I believe I read on the forum somewhere Petco sells crushed walnut shell. Is it as good as corncob?

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I put a dryer sheet in a couple pieces in the tumbler.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use crushed corn cob, a little bit (like 1/3 - 1/2 capfull) of mineral sprits and a dryer sheet. Couldn't be happier.

Also got one of the media separators from Cabela's and it works very well!

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Ok - I am on my way to town today to get a tumbler and some media to start tumbling my brass. One question - what is the quickest and most efficient method of cleaning dust & media residue from the tumbled brass? Also I believe I read on the forum somewhere Petco sells crushed walnut shell. Is it as good as corncob?
The walnut shell from the pet stores will work fine. Get the small grit stuff labeled for lizards. They probably carry corn cob too but I don't like it because it is ground a little too large. If you go with pet store corn cob get the smallest grind they have. Walnut is a lot dustier than corn cob. If you have a sand blasting place close by you can usually get fine grind corn cob from them at very good prices. For polish I use Nu Finish car polish. Much cheaper than brass polish and works just as well. The used dryer sheets will absorb a lot of the dust in the tumbler.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
Since I never seem to remember to keep the used dryer sheet after taking clothes out of the dryer, I keep a roll of paper towels by my tumblers. A paper towel torn into strips seems to work for collecting the dust in the bowl.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
QUOTE=RetiredRod;1712076]Since I never seem to remember to keep the used dryer sheet after taking clothes out of the dryer, I keep a roll of paper towels by my tumblers. A paper towel torn into strips seems to work for collecting the dust in the bowl.[/QUOTE]

Take the new ones....:biglaugh:

As long as I don't get caught.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the help - I am on my way to my local Harbor Freight where they have a red in color tumbler that looks surprisingly like the "green" one for about 1/3 the price....

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Are you getting an actual tumbler? Take a look at the vibrator type while there. I think you would be better served by it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I use the walnut from the pet department at Walmart. I add a cap full of Nu Finish car polish and a paper towel torn into pieces and have never had a dust problem, until it's time to change the media.
Rusty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts