1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally removed the rear sight of the CDP.

Part of me wanted to continue removing ALL of the Series II parts...the part in the slide wasn't doing anything but making me nervous. More importantly, though it was dead-on for some people, for some reason, something about my sight picture was such that shots would hit left...a good six inches or so.

At first I ignored it, assuming it would get better with practice. Well, 100 rounds a week for the last three months has made me a MUCH better shooter, with groups that give me a VERY big smile...all six inches to the left. :rolleyes:

To remove the screw, I put the allen wrench in a pair of pliers and heated it with a propane torch for a few minutes (I couldn't find my soldering iron). The screw, which had stripped three previous allen wrenches, finally turned and I pulled it out with no problems.

The rear sight itself was a B*****! I let it soak in something similiar to 10W40 for a few minutes (my father's a mechanic and had some crazy uber stuff at $20 a bottle) and tried a sight-pusher. Not in this life-time...Finally I ended up going after it with a brass punch. No luck...I was BENDING the brass punch.

I finally used a steel one and punched it out. Removed the Series II parts and filed the sight quite a bit to make it easier to work...It still won't move freely and requires a punch/sight pusher to move around, but at least it will move.

The pistol is dead-on now...Sort of. With one eye closed, the bullseye is dead meat. With both eyes open, I'm about an inch to the left. I figure that's me, and not the gun...something to work on.

So I'm happy...except on the left side of the sight there's a bright shiny metal spot where I gouged the metal of the sight with the steel punch. I expected that, and I could care less if it's a bit dented...but the shininess is annoying.

Ideas for re-finishing that area? They make a "pen" that has a black coating, but it's a high-gloss finish and wouldn't match...though it may be better than nothing. How does meprolight finish their sights? Thoughts?

·
Administrator
72,451 Posts
Why the $%#@ does Kimber put the rear sight on so tight anyway?!? What do they use to install them, a ten-ton hydraulic press?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL.

It's the Series II safety, dsk.

Here's the deal. If teh rear saftey could easily move, then removing that safety would take two seconds; you wouldn't even need to know how to detail strip. Boom! You're done.

Kimber can't have that...from a liability standpoint. Imagine if someone moved their sight and that little spring went flying and they didn't notice? And then the gun didn't work?

Nah...they make you WORK to get rid of that safety. Buy new parts, detail strip the gun, pray to Jesus, and beat the crap out of the sight with a steel punch.

Now...how do I make my rear-sight less of an eye-sore? I figured YOU would have the answer of all people! :D

·
Administrator
72,451 Posts
No, even the Series I pistols have a rear sight that usually refuses to budge. :mad:

Cleaning the dinged-up area with a touch of emery paper, then cold-bluing it is about the best advice I can give. Use coarse paper and work the area in small circles to remove the shinyness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Birchwood/Csey Super Black pens come in gloss black and flat black. Try the flat black and see if that works. I used the flat black on my CDP frame and it came out ok.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I'm with you on this one dsk. There's absolsutely no reason that a sight should be put on so tight that it can't be adjusted by the customer without dinging the crap out it with a large punch and hammer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kudos. Thanks guys.

I'm a "guns is for shootin" kinda guy, but there's always a bit of sadness when they start getting mucked up...especially the ones that started off so pertty. :D

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
lictalon,

I can feel your pain! :D

Birchwood Casey makes a cold blue felt tip pin that works pretty well for small touch-ups.

BTW, Bronwell's sells a nice punch, 3/8" steel shaft with replaceable tips. I use the 3/8" brass tip in mine on Kimber rear sights. The brass tip is short and robust enough to take the heavy banging without bending. The steel shaft can take much more heavy hammer blows without damage as well.

On my last Kimber that got a new Novak sight, I took a page from one of the professional smiths who post here, and just milled it in two. :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you think the rear sights are hard to get off you should try to remove a Front Sight. It took me a little over an hour to get mine off. Since I was replacing the Front Sight with an EGW Fiber Optic, I didn't care if I mangled it and just chucked it in the trash.

MadDog

·
Registered
134 Posts
This isn't very encouraging. I have a Dawson fiber sight on the way and if removing the front sight is half as difficult as the rear there's going to be problems.

I had a bear of a time getting the rear sight off my Stainless 2. I need one of those Birchwood Casey pens too.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ktulu -

If you are replacing the front sight with a Dawson Fiber Optic then you probably wouldn't mind messing up the Kimber sight. Instead of a brass or aluminum drift use a steel one. It should come off easier that way. I have installed Dawson's before and find them a tight fit. If the Dawson does not mount easily just lay a double cut file flat on a table. Draw the bottom of the sight across the file. Take a couple of swipes and then try to install the sight. Keep doing this until the sight will slip in the dovetail about a third of the way. Dawson provides you with an aluminum drift sized for their sight. By taking a little off the bottom of the sight you reduce the overall hight of the sight base without altering it's proper angle.

Hope this helps,
MadDog :rolleyes:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks Mad Dog. I have a sight pushing tool so I'll see how that works. I really had to crank the thing to get the rear sight off.

I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Hopefully I wont have to use them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have found an excellent sight pusher designed with Kimber front dovetails in mind. I have used it for such purpose as well as Glock rears and Para rears.

It is the PI500 from PI industries (Bernie Small). I think he has Brownells selling them now for $125. It is quite universal. If you like to muck with sights alot (like I do) defintely worth the investment.

Bernie might have some of the older models around for $100, send me an email and I can put you in touch. But, the newer model is better (he upgraded me for the $25 bucks).

He sells them on Gunbroker, you can look there too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Subliminal, I have that tool as well. I don't know if it's the older or newer model. What's the difference?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I found a couple things I like better about the new one:

1) Easier to push sights from either side. On the old one, it was tough to push Glock sights from the right because you couldn;t get enough clearance for the pusher screw (the Glock slide was too wide to use the spacer). The new design gives the screw more clearance so it can be done.

2) the tips used on the pusher screw and the tip of the screw were redesigned to 1) spin easier and 2) do less potential damage to the sight base (i.e. little or no touch up required).

The easiest way to tell if you have the new one or not is to go to Brownells and look at it (watch the wrap):

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=17840&title=P500+UNIVERSAL+SIGHT+TOOL

the new one has a "bridge" over the top which connects the 2 sides. Bernie says it is for extra rigidity.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Subliminal, thanks I do have the newer one.

Mad Dog, I installed the Dawson sight last night. Old sight came out easy. New sight required some filing as you suggested. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If I may hijack 'lic's' thread, what color pipes does the Dawson sight come with? I'm partial to NEON green.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Shooter 1201 -

The last time I purchased a Dawson Fiber Optic it came with one Green pipe one Orange pipe and an aluminum drift to install the sight body. I just tried a Fiber Optic sight made by EGW and like the design much better. It gathers more light and the sight pipe has a large button head that is easier for my eyes to pick up.

Just my .02
MadDog :cool:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Thanks.

BTW...does anyone know if KIMBER offers fiber optic sights and installation? Since my slide is going off Monday for a new rear sight, I was wondering.....

·
Registered
645 Posts
Shooter 1201 -

I have not seen this as an option on Kimber's web site but it doesn't hurt to ask. Call their Custom Department, they have always been helpful to me.

MadDog :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts