1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the best way to clean up or polish Stainless Steel firearms?I just bought a used SS Taurus 357 mag for $175.00 and it fires and funtions fine,just needs some tender loving care as the former owner kinda negleted to care for this firearm,I basically will use it as a stash under the seat gun.But I would like to see if I can make it look purdy again(bored to death)Thanks for your help and info.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Probably the least expensive and quickest way to clean up a stainless pistol as you have described is beadblasting. All that needs to be done is to completely disassemble the gun, cover any nonremovable sights with heavy tape, bead blast the exterior with the appropriate media, and reassemble. The result is a less reflective, businesslike finish. Most any smith should be able to do this.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I use Arm&Hammer Advance White with tartar control toothpaste. The baking soda polishes and really cleans up the metal. Pay close attention to the cylinder and rinse liberally with water. I follow this cleaning with alcohol to remove the water. Flitz is next and you should be able to see yourself in the finish. I have done this for years with just baking soda. The neat thing about using toothpaste is that it smells nice and fresh.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I usually buy new and keep them looking that way but with a revolver the front of the cylinder always looks like hell. What I used was a lot of CLP and a copper brush. Clean it once a day for three days straight after shooting and it will be spotless.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The trouble with SS is that it is the easiest of all "finishes" to scratch. Sometimes I think just looking at a SS gun causes the photons of light to leave tiny scratches.

That said I vote for glass beading with fairly large beads. This gives a flat grey look that looks almost like French Grey. It will also get rid of even fairly bad scratches.

After that store the gun in the dark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts