1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I tend to get some buildup around the top punch of my seating die so I clean it occasionally with some Hoppes. Also, occasionally my sizing die will get some grit in it that I need to wipe out. I only do this when I actually see something, not on any regular basis.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hoppe's does a good job for the sizing and expanding dies.

For the seater and crimping die, I have used Brakleen with good results. Squirt and scrub. Either that, or a good swabbing with denatured alcohol will clear out all the bullet lube and gunk from these dies.

With either method, oil with a light lubricant (3-in-1 works great) before storage. Also, remember to use the solvents listed with good ventilation (do it outside!!) and wear some good gloves.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cleaned my Dies last night, almost 2000 rounds thru them.

Bullet seater was nasty! I used Hoppes. Lead build up was terrible.

The other two dies weren't too bad but cleaned 'em up anyway.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The case lube on the lead bullets is the main problem. Some lead bullets have a lot of waxy lube and I have had to clean seating die every 200-300 rounds or the OAL goes short. There was a guy in NJ years ago who formed hard lead bullets on a cold header as if he were maiking steel bolts. They had a very hard lube and I could load several thousand rounds with very like crud build-up. I have not been able to if this outfit for several years.
Ed Henry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts