1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So , I was talking to a S&W tech today and He sez NEVER (and I repeat ) NEVER use a stainless brush on your bore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So because I do that on occasion I thought I should get you guys to give me your opinion on cleaning . I start with patches and Hoppe's #9 then go to patches with Barnes CR-10 and if I still have an issue I brush with CR-10 and a stainless tornado brush . I finish with #9 and dry patches . The tech (who I thought sounded like He knew what He was talking about ) Said "200 strokes with a stainless brush will damage your barrel !!!" Let me reiterate that my techniques for cleaning are vastly different for lead and copper and I would like to hear about some other fluids , gels , brushes , patches , blah , blah , blah . I could be stuck in a rut . THANKS !!!

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I have a stainless brush. In 10+ years I think I have used it twice. Maybe. For a total of 3 passes.

I only use it in emergencies. Read rust.

I agree with the tech. You are way over-doing it in my book.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Find a new hobby, like shooting. Clean when you have to.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
CLP, a tooth brush, shop towel, and a Bore Snake is all you ever need.

Copper fouling is harmless and self limiting. Right back the next magazine.

Unlubricated lead bullet fouling should clean out easily although at these velocities (less than .22LR) the use of lubricated bullets will pretty much eliminate any cleaning completely as it is in .22 weapons.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
I have no use for the Bore Snake, but I do use patches and, occasionally, bronze brushes on my pistol barrels. Nothing but patches on rifles.

·
Registered
442 Posts
A clean stainless brush is far better for your bore than a dirty brass one. Far too many people either do not know, or do not DO, cleaning their cleaning gear before and after use. Brass brush bristles can imbet abrasive grit - just like a lead bore lap.

Although I am far from the last word on the issue, it similar to the two schools of thought on cleaning rods -

1. A coated cleaning that cannot wear the crown, but may trap grit in the coating that will accelerate wear on the whole barrel, including the crown, or:

2. A very hard steel cleaning rod with no coating, that IS hard enough to wear the crown, but WON'T trap grit.

...I fall into camp #2, and I use the "tornado" stainless brushes with looped ends of the brisstles all the time, with no observed ill effects so far.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
A clean stainless brush is far better for your bore than a dirty brass one. Far too many people either do not know, or do not DO, cleaning their cleaning gear before and after use. Brass brush bristles can imbet abrasive grit - just like a lead bore lap.

Although I am far from the last word on the issue, it similar to the two schools of thought on cleaning rods -

1. A coated cleaning that cannot wear the crown, but may trap grit in the coating that will accelerate wear on the whole barrel, including the crown, or:

2. A very hard steel cleaning rod with no coating, that IS hard enough to wear the crown, but WON'T trap grit.

...I fall into camp #2, and I use the "tornado" stainless brushes with looped ends of the brisstles all the time, with no observed ill effects so far.
I've also been a little concerned about my Dewey rods' trapping grit; however, I always wipe the rod down after each pass through a barrel.

Also, Rich, wouldn't you need to religiously inspect with a magnified bore scope, in order to "observe ill effects?"

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Need to CLEAN!

So I could be a tad bit anal in the fact that I want the bore to be spotless . I honestly haven't done any sandbag/target testing after I shoot a couple hundred rounds to see if it affects accuracy . I could be thinking to hard .

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
So I could be a tad bit anal in the fact that I want the bore to be spotless . I honestly haven't done any sandbag/target testing after I shoot a couple hundred rounds to see if it affects accuracy . I could be thinking to hard .
Yes, you are. Shoot more and stop worrying about the bore. Clean when accuracy drops off (and you won't notice this). Read this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
More and more , I am liking the NEVER CLEAN IT theory.

http://www.schuemann.com/
If you shoot jacketed only it works great! Before I started shooting some lead in my 5" it went thousands of rounds with out seeing a bore brush, I have a bore snake that I cut the bristles off of and I would pull it thru 2 or 3 times and that was it. If you shoot lead break out the copper Chore Boy.

·
Registered
24,381 Posts
A lot of guns have been ruined.

By overzealous cleaning. I sparingly clean the rifles that I use for precision shooting, (No Stainless Brushes!). My shotguns get cleaned out when I can not see daylight through the barrels. Interestingly enough I bought one of those Beretta CX4 Storm carbines in .45 acp for a house gun for my wife. Great gun by the way. But it just gets dirty as hell really fast. The barrel is fairly thin so I clean this thing fairly often. The rest of my guns, Auto pistols and revolvers. When they get really gummy I hose them down with Birchwood Casey and then liberally apply Kroil to them and this works fine for me.

Keep your powder dry. :rock:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will probably have to go through a 12 step program to be able to bring my pistols in and not pull the slide and start wiping Hoppes #9 . BUT , I'll try .

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I have a habit of religiously cleaning my guns after every trip to the range. I guess this is bad? :confused:

Should i just wipe the carbon off, Hoppes #9 the feed ramp and be done with it?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts