1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
While I was at TR, he never pressed people to buy a Les Baer Thunder Ranch special and he never pressed people on ammo to use. What he did do is stress that you have a quality gun that works every time, and good ammo that works perfectly in your gun every time.

So, uh, what does it matter what kind of ball ammo he uses?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Ball ammo feeds more reliably in my 1911's, custom as well as stock...It may be marginal but it is generally true...Maybe what Mr. Smith is saying is that it's the placement of the shot that really counts...I would hate to be the recipiant of a well placed 230 grain ball ammo load...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Clint's point about the hardball is that you want a "gun that runs". The 1911 design was designed around the 230 gr "hardball" round. Lots of people have worked to get 1911s to feed hollow-point ammunition reliably. When it comes right down to it, you want the gun to work. Also, don't expect that HP round to necessarily expand or stop when you shoot the bad guy. Shooting a hollow point round doesn't give you the right to ignore what's behind your target. Hollow points can be plugged with drywall or cloth and turn into a penetrating, "hardball round". Also, the fact that hardball penetrates is not necessarily a bad thing. It makes two holes for the bad guy to bleed from instead of one. Food for thought...

Bob

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I could care less what kind of ammo Clint Smith shoots. What feeds for him may not feed for me and vicey-versey. If one buys the latest "blast 'em" ammo and it doesn't feed reliably, they have a $600 single-shot.

That's bad Mojo.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
IHC, you hit the nail on the head. I don't know how many times I have read comments like "If it is good enough for Clint Smith, it is good enough for me." And this is done with all sorts of other experts or notable gun people.

Just because someone of note uses a brand or type of ammo, gun, flashlight, etc., it does not mean or imply that is the type of gear that the rest of us should have. Those people have made their own decisions based on their own circumstances (finances, local environment, threat level, etc.). That is what each of us need to do. Heck, Clint Smith also owns a cannon, but I certainly don't need one. He also happens to live out in the middle of nowhere in the desert scrubland hill country of southern Texas and thinks a powerful carbine rifle is the perfect gun for home defense (not a shotgun). Why a rifle? Because with no kids at home and no other neighbors in direct line of sight and the closest being more than 800 yards away (behind a hill, apparently), he feels the rifle will give him the best results. A rifle is NOT a good idea, he pointed out to our class, for people living in most urban or city environments and especially not for those living in apartments and mobile home parks. His situation is unique. And he likes to jokingly add that his pistols are so that he can fight his was back to his rifle and his rifle is so that he can fight his way to the cannon that by that time, Heidi should already have loaded with grapeshot, the cannon being inside his home. Somehow I don't doubt that he would fire it in his home if he truly had a need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For what it is worth, I was just curious on what Clint Smith uses. I was not trying to "be like Clint" and use whatever he has. I get tired of hearing everyone spout off about how stupid it is on trying to pack what someone else does just because of who they are. I agree you should use what works for you. For all of you mind readers out there I was curious and nothing more (You probably new that since you new the real meaning of my question). I run what works in my gun and shoot the gun I want. Topic closed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts