1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I have a dilemma. I'm contemplating putting Clint's #1 Wilson TR up for sale in order to acquire a 1999 NY Yankee World Series ring a connection of mine has come up with. This is a tough call. I'm a rabid--I mean RABID--Yankee fan, have a huge memorabilia collection, and wear a 1996 World Series ring every day. The '99 ring is a thing of beauty and you rarely ever find these things on the market--ever. But one has to go in order for the other to arrive. Hmmmm.... but I'll want top dollar for Clint's TR. I'm up for your suggestions, this is very difficult decision. And I'd have to jettison a wife if I tried to acquire one without selling the other (or be jettisoned, as the case really may be).

Your thoughts, my friends?

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
940 Posts
How many rings are there in existence? A dozen or more? How many #1 Thunder Ranch's owned by Clint Smith? 1 The math tells the tale to me.

Of course, I don't like baseball or jewelry. I love 1911s though.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
A ring or a gun, tough call.

Certainly you have already lost. You want them both, but can't. I'm with Buzz_knox and Deputy Tom. Unless the rings are serial numbered (never seen one of those), there is only one Wilson TR#1.

Have you ever considered trading the '96 ring with the '99 ring? So, you can keep both of them. Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Wit (edited 05-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Buzz took care of this one, there's nothing left to discuss.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Good to see you back, Paladin! I thought you had grown tired of your fellow 1911 brethren.

As far as your question goes, a ring or a gun? IMO, the gun wins every single time, no exceptions. You can always find a has-been ball player down on his luck willing to sell off his ring for one last wild debauchery.

A gun of this... um, caliber, doesn't appear on the auction block every day. Get the gun, or you'll be mad at yourself for passing it up. But, of course, get what will provide you the most pleasure. Whichever you decide on, let us know. If you go with the TR, maybe you can post some pics. If you decide on the ring, don't waste your film
(just kidding)

·
Registered
366 Posts
As a fellow collector (over 200 single-signed baseballs), I would advise you to buy the ring outright and keep the TR1 by obtaining funds elsewhere. Sell some of your duplicates. Take out a second mortgage, whatever. Special things require special funding.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Paladin,
Tell your wife its an investment. Keep the Wilson TR and buy the ring.

I remember back when I first suggested to my wife that I wanted to spend $3400 to buy a Ballistics converted MP5 a couple of years after the 86 ban. Seemed like a lot of money to her, but then I turned around and sold it two years later for $6000. She doesn't even flinch when I use the investment angle now

Tony

------------------
Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc.
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]
Second Best is not an option

·
Registered
122 Posts
Jettison the wife.....OR...be resourcefull and buy the second ring for her.....naaaaaah.See ya later baby,I'm sure gonna miss ya

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:
Take no part of this advice! Tequila is involved.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Traevin,
Glad to be back. Just been taken' care of business. Sometimes I'll get so busy with my company--I'm both owner and an operator--that my personal life takes a back seat. I know some of you understand about that, the entrepreneurs in the crowd here.

However, I already own Clint's TR, from your response you seemed to think I was deciding between acquiring it or the ring. Nah, it's between selling the TR and getting the ring or not. It's harder to come by a Yankee World Series ring than you would think, especially the recent Series in the '90's. Sorry to dissappoint some of you guys, but ditching the wife is not an option.... after 16 years and one child, she's put up with enough from me to deserve the bullet-proof vest.

I'll think about your answers, thanks for the input. If anyone among our Wilson fanatics here are interested in inquiring about acquiring the #1 TR, email me on the side.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Posting this question on this forum probably got the answers you expected. In the end, do what is best for you. I believe you will find plenty of interested parties here if you decide on the ring.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, so whoever would be interested here in purchasing the #1 Wilson TR, email me off line and we can discuss. If I hear a price that I can live with, I will let it go.

This is not going to be a small ticket, item, boys, so contact me only if you're serious.

------------------

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is a gun forum so you got your expected answers.

I see it this way: a gun that you don't carry and shoot is USELESS. It is a paperweight. I have never understood collecting a gun to have it sit in the safe and look at once in a while. (I am assuming that like most people with a gun like that you bought it and are afraid to use it because you don't want to wear it out.). Not only that but the gun is only cool because it was carried by Clint Smith. Big whoop. The ring actually has some inherent value no matter who wore it, it is a unique item, whereas the gun is just another gun that happens to have been owned by a cool guy. It is not inherently better in performance than any other nice 1911. The ring is truly unique.

You wear the ring every day. You never use the gun, it sits in a dark safe and you would never miss it if it were gone. Sell the gun and buy the ring.

I collect guns but I refuse to ever buy a gun that I won't carry or shoot.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
No baseball nut's collection is complete without the T206 Honus Wagner PSA 8 NM-MT tobacco card or a '52 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle Rookie card

Sell the gun. Buy the ring. I have a couple of 'will never be shot' guns and all they do is collect dust. Every once in awhile, they're shown to close friends for drooling, bragging purposes but that's about all.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Son--As always, good advice. Scorn, they don't call you that for nuthin', eh? Actually, I got more "sell the gun" answers than I thought I would in a gun forum. I think it's time to turn the light on in the safe.....

------------------

·
Super Moderator
1,868 Posts
Paladin.

Although I do not watch or have any interest in sports, let alone baseball. I would say go for the ring. If you have to sell the TRS to do it. Sell It.

From a pure bottom line aspect. You have a better chance on recouping your money out of the ring than the gun. Much bigger market following and more politically correct.

From a pure emotional or possession standpoint and from what I can draw from speaking to you on the phone about your feelings of New York I would say also get the ring.

There will be another neat cool gun down the road. Knowing you there is another one of a kind 45 coming your way, on order or in the mill.

By the way. I got a Richard Heinie due in by mid June. This will be my version of your baseball ring.

Yes, this is a possession and may sit in my gun safe for quite a while. I have that set of Ivory you were interested in reserved for this gun.

------------------
Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Paladin - As a sports memorabilia collector, I guess you know what you're looking at when somebody has something interesting in that line for sale. But I read recently that the FBI says more than 85% of sports memorabilia is faked! Hope the ring isn't paste! What's your take on this news?

------------------
Safe shooting, PKAY

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the warning, Pkay. I'm aware of the FBI situation with memorabilia. It's harder to forge a ring than a signature. I don't collect signed items unless it's from a known, secure source.

Well, I've decided to put it on the market. It is now officially posted on www.pistolsmith.com. Take a look and email me with any interest before it's gone. It will probably not last long, once "word" gets out it's available. But I'd love to see it in the hands of one of my compadres in the forum here. It deserves another good home. Now the least the Yanks could do is win a fourth World Series in a row....

------------------

·
Registered
870 Posts
Paladin, what guy ,that primarily came out of the bull pen went 16 and 3? Name the catcher that was backup, hit with power, and could have started with any other team? What did "Hector" do. Where did "Tony" get hit? How did MM get hurt? I know you probably have the answers to all of these questions. I could have made a much longer list, but I have a feeling I'm out of my "league" when it comes to Yankee knowledge. Thanks for the post, it brought back fond thoughts for me. I vote gun!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts