1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was a tough decision, but I had second thoughts about parting with Clint's TR0001. I'm going to hold onto it. I decided to trade another ring I have toward the '99 Yankee World Series ring. Actually, I decided to have one made from scratch instead of going with an original ring. Cheaper, not by much, but it will make me feel more comfortable wearing it in public. And I get to keep the Wilson TR on my desk in the library--and take it out to fondle every once in a while.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Good for you. Seems like you were really struggling with the choice. Looks like you struck a balance. I think you would have regretted selling it.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I know you probably labored long and hard before making your decision; but in the end, I think you made an excellent choice

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the support, guys. I'm glad I finally made the right decision. Yeah, it was a tough one. But it's nice to see that little gem still sitting on my desk as I type these words.

USMC03--FYI, Clint decided to sell his and Heidi's TR00002 as a set over a year ago. He placed them with a local dealer here in Austin. Just wanted to clear out his closet, so to speak. He gets so many promotional things, is stocked on all kinds of weaponry. It was just time for them to go.

One of our brethren here on the forum mentioned the guns were for sale at the shop, and I took a beeline to them. Bought them without blinking an eye. Before someone else found them.

Buzz--just goes to show, we do have some things in common, some of the most important ones.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Paladin,

If you don't mind me asking how much were TR0001 and TR0002 going for. I understand that Clint had a "falling out" with Bill Wilson, I'm not sure but it seems like Clint was going to help Bill Wilson with some of his tactical videos and things went sour.

If anyone knows the story please post it. I understand after things went sour between Clint and Bill, Clint went to Les Baer to have him start making the Thunder Ranch Special.

If this is indeed good info, do you know if Clint sold the Wilson pistols because of the falling out with Bill Wilson.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
USMC03--
I've been asked on several occasions what I purchased the gun set for. Out of respect for Clint, I don't discuss any financial transactions I've done with him. I posted an asking price for just the TR00001, and was hard-pressed to do that. I just don't think it's appropriate to discuss a private transaction with someone like Clint.

In answer to your question about Clint and Bill Wilson, I have attended Thunder Ranch several times, communicated with both Clint and Heidi. While I wouldn't flatter myself by saying I'm anything like a personal friend of theirs, I think I've had enough face time to be able to determine what caliber of people (no pun intended) the Smith's are. And I think I can safely say that holding grudges or having "falling outs" is not part of Clint or Heidi's world--it's not how they operate. It's not their style, and they are much too down-to-earth and real to get involved in any kind of situation or game like that. Clint himself knows that life is too short to indulge in those kinds of relationships. These are stand-up people who treat others with utmost respect and don't have the emotional or physical time to get involved in anything you describe with anyone, let alone Bill Wilson. What I described above as the reason for Clint selling the Wilson TR's is exactly what he said to me, face to face at Thunder Ranch. And if there's anything Clint Smith is, it's a scrupulously honest and open person. You can take what he has to say to the bank, every time. Period.

------------------

·
Registered
658 Posts
Paladin,

I can respect the situation in reference to the cost of TR00001, but I had to ask.

The part about the Clint / Bill situation was something that I shortly after Baer began building the Thunder Ranch Pistol for Clint. I did not know if there was any truth to it. I remember seeing Clint and Bill on American Shooter last year or the year before and I remember Clint saying what a great pistol the Wilson TRS was, and couldn't understand why he would want to sell that pistol.

Thanks for answering so quickly and putting the rumors to rest.

Semper Fi
USMC03

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recall seeing both Wilson TRs no1 and no2 listed on a gun board for around $4900. A gun shop in Austin was handling the deal.
I have a Wilson TR no45 and a Les Baer no45 and there is not a nats ass of difference between the two in any regards. I have shot the snot out of both at TR and they both run great. Hats off to Wilson.

------------------

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
USMC03--
No problem. Things sometimes are just as they appear.

Semper Fi, with my respects

------------------

·
Registered
802 Posts
USMC03

Clint addressed the issue in his newsletter (2 or 3 times). He said many people had assumed there was a "falling out" with Wilson because he had a deal with Baer...but that the fact was simply that he and Bill had a deal for fifty pistols and when that was done, their business arrangement was complete...

One of the newsletters also details the various Thunder Ranch pistols and makers up to the latest Baers.

·
Banned
725 Posts
Woo yeee! It's nice to have money!

------------------
"Gun Control is Only to Protect Those in Power."

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, Wally--and I can't wait for that Bush tax refund so I can support the economy by buying a couple of ivory TRS grips for my new hard chromed LB TRS! That ol' "trickle-down theory"..... Reaganomics Redux!

------------------

·
Banned
725 Posts
Since you have the cash to buy such expensive firearms you should be thankful for those right wing conservative republicans(that you continually bash) that are in bed with business. Just think may be with this marriage penalty tax refund I might actually be able to pay off the $225 I still owe my gunsmith for the Caspian singlestack I've wanted since 1993. Thank God the dems didn't get in the White House, because then we'd be paying more taxes so only rich libs like you could afford such magnificent works of art.

------------------

·
Banned
725 Posts
The lib, oops, I mean the devil made me do it.

------------------

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.