1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking in dillion at MAGAZINES and saw the wilson combat MAGAZINES and the Chip McCormick MAGAZINES I was thinking of a 8 round and a 10 round for backup for my 70's series government. Can I trust my life on them?

[This message has been edited by Greg1911 (edited 09-15-2001).]

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
clips? I didn't know that 1911's used clips, I do know that they take box magazines tho
Wilson mags are the best in the buisiness IMHO. If I had to take 3 brand new untested mags into a life & death situation, and could have my choice of mags, they would without a doubt be Wilsons. I also have had great luck with the Mec-gar mags and Chip M. mags, but still trust the Wilsons the most. The best thing to do is order 3 and give them a test run

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Greg1911,

A few factors to consider:

1. The 1911 magazine was originally designed to hold 7 rounds. Magazines holding more than this may, or may not, be completely reliable.

2. The quality of aftermarket magazines varies widely. I think that a majority of our membership would agree that the Wilson Rogers magazine is finest available. McCormick (Shooting Star) magazines also seem enjoy a good reputation among many users.

What makes it impossible to answer your question is the fact that your Colt is liable to function differently with different types and manufacturers. This is one reason why the Wilson units are so highly regarded -- because they work exceptionally well in almost every 1911.

My suggestion would be to buy a couple of Wilsons, run a few hundred rounds through them, and you will have your answer.

Chuck

[This message has been edited by StormMaster (edited 09-15-2001).]

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I guess I will order the wilson and shoot a few hundred out of it, can you return it if it doesn't feed properly in your gun? My gov. Model isn't picky about what it eats so I am pretty sure the wilson will work.

am I the only one who calls them clips?

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
clip clip clip clip clip clip.... nope

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Where I come from "clips" are for your hair, ammo is fed from "magazines" into the chamber of firearms.
NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Can you return it if it doesn't feed properly in your gun?
I seriously doubt it, but Wilson may be willing to swap them out for you. The more relevant question is this: if a Wilson mag won't feed properly in your gun, what it wrong with your gun? I don't think you'll have any trouble at all, based upon your description of this pistol's past feeding characteristics.

I the only one who calls them clips?
No, you're just the only one who does this in public.
This is one of those purist distinctions, and in strict technical terms, a "clip" does refer to something entirely different (i.e. the M1 Garand en bloc clip).

Anyway, to get back on topic, if your Colt isn't giving you any trouble now, I seriously doubt that you are going to encounter any difficulties whatsoever with those 8 round Wilsons. Buy with confidence!

Chuck

[This message has been edited by StormMaster (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm far from an expert on such matters, but I've found the peace of mind granted by 7's, out weighing having one more round.

If I was rich, I might use 8's, and change the springs every three months.

I have wondered though...could one modifiy a Wilson's 10 rounder to hold 8, by using one of the Wolf custom springs?

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
elsworth,

I'm not sure I fully understand your comment about modifying a Wilson 10 rounder to hold 8 rounds. In such a case, why not simply "download" the magazine to the lower capacity, and leave it at that? Back when spring tension was more of a problem, this was a pretty common practice in many autoloaders.

The other relevant issue to this discussion is the fact that an 8 round magazine is still going to allow a flush fit with the frame. Once you go to something like a 10 rounder, you have to accept the fact that the magazine is going to protrude significantly from the frame -- obviously not an option for concealed carry. If your intent is to use the gun solely for home defense as a sort of "nightstand gun," this is much less of a concern.

Chuck

·
Registered
171 Posts
Clips are used to fill magazines. Having said that, McCormik mags have a good rep. If it's not right they will make it right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts