1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my wife to work yesterday and had my 2 youngest daughters with me, after dropping the wife off I went by the store and on the way out after loading the girls up I decided to have a smoke (I dont smoke in the same quarters as my kids). So im standing outside smoking and from around the corner (about 30 feet away) comes a rather unsavory looking guy with his hands in his pockets and he kept looking back over his shoulder and alarms started going off in my head so I put the front of the truck that I parked next to between us so i could use the engine block for cover if need be, I didnt want to put my car between us since my kids were inside it, I'm guessing that my movement made him notice me because he looked at me and directly changed his path to a beeline to me and my girls and he said something like "hey man,hey man" except loud and kind of choppy sounding ( i cant spell the accent.."ay mane" i guess is close) and sped up his gait (at this point my hand went to my gun). About that time a sherriffs patroll car drove by and laid on the horn.The guy turned and saw the sherrif turning around and decided to leave. I watched him leave and waved to the deputy that i was allright and left.I chainsmoked about 3 cigarettes when i got home.

I may just be paranoid and the guy was just going to ask me for change or a smoke or clean my windshield or something but I have dealt with panhandlers before and i never got that kind of vibe from them...I dont know

I'm just glad that deputy rolled by when he did.

·
Registered
377 Posts
[ouble-0-Pi Close call yeaterday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I took my wife to work yesterday and had my 2 youngest daughters with me, after dropping the wife off I went by the store and on the way out after loading the girls up I decided to have a smoke (I dont smoke in the same quarters as my kids). So im standing outside smoking and from around the corner (about 30 feet away) comes a rather unsavory looking guy with his hands in his pockets and he kept looking back over his shoulder and alarms started going off in my head so I put the front of the truck that I parked next to between us so i could use the engine block for cover if need be, I didnt want to put my car between us since my kids were inside it, I'm guessing that my movement made him notice me because he looked at me and directly changed his path to a beeline to me and my girls and he said something like "hey man,hey man" except loud and kind of choppy sounding ( i cant spell the accent.."ay mane" i guess is close) and sped up his gait (at this point my hand went to my gun). About that time a sherriffs patroll car drove by and laid on the horn.The guy turned and saw the sherrif turning around and decided to leave. I watched him leave and waved to the deputy that i was allright and left.I chainsmoked about 3 cigarettes when i got home.

I may just be paranoid and the guy was just going to ask me for change or a smoke or clean my windshield or something but I have dealt with panhandlers before and i never got that kind of vibe from them...I dont know

I'm just glad that deputy rolled by when he did. /QUOTE]

Glad it turned out for the good, My friends wonder why i carry you just never know what or when something may happen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good to hear this turned out ok for you. Seems like it could of easily went the other way. Be prepared for the worse and be happy when you are wrong.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Didn't sound like paranoia to me. Sounded like you took necessary precautions to keep you and the family safe, good on'ya. Threat level gradually increasing from yellow, orange, to potentially red. Well played.

Btw, excellent job on the accent...mayne!!! Too funny.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Good job, . . . glad all worked out well.

I would probably only change one thing, . . . if my girls were in a vehicle, . . . and I assume strapped in from what you said, . . . when I sensed troble, . . . I would either have squashed the cigarette and vamoosed, . . . or I would have casually walked away from my vehicle, . . . in case there was gunfire, . . . not wanting them to be around it at all.

This is not to criticize you, . . . just a comment on how I would personally have handled it. It is part of my "action plan" to take any action away from friends / family if I can do so, . . . even if it puts me out on a limb so to speak.

But you did well, . . . and give a big thumbs up to the "Just in Time" deputy.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Not paranoid at all, i would be careful with people trying to clean your windshield in the street too, robbers use that to get close.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good job, . . . glad all worked out well.

I would probably only change one thing, . . . if my girls were in a vehicle, . . . and I assume strapped in from what you said, . . . when I sensed troble, . . . I would either have squashed the cigarette and vamoosed, . . . or I would have casually walked away from my vehicle, . . . in case there was gunfire, . . . not wanting them to be around it at all.

This is not to criticize you, . . . just a comment on how I would personally have handled it. It is part of my "action plan" to take any action away from friends / family if I can do so, . . . even if it puts me out on a limb so to speak.

But you did well, . . . and give a big thumbs up to the "Just in Time" deputy.

May God bless,
Dwight
Honestly , getting in the car and just leaving never crossed my mind. it may have been that i was on the passenger side and would have had to go around the car, removing myself from the cover of the truck or just a pre-emptive piece of parental ferocity since i thought i saw a threat to my children and was going to stand my ground (which was between the guy and my kids)

hell if i know...hind sight is 20/20 and im glad the deputy went by. Thanks for the critique

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think you were on your toes and reacted appropriately. Look at all the stuff that's happened lately. I'm glad you were thinking that way instead of all of us here on this forum reading about a horrible "tragedy" (as the media calls most everything these days) about a man who was slain while his two young daughters looked on. People get killed when they don't follow their instinct. Good job :rock:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Situational awareness is the single most important factor to have control of, that's definitely not paranoia that's being prepared.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Better to be paranoid and alive than oblivious and dead. I commend you on putting the vehicle between you, good thinking. You not only put cover in front of you but you put distance/barrier between you leaving a few precious seconds to react if needed. Bad stuff happens fast and when the hairs stand up on the neck we need to act (like you did) or your further behined the curve.

Glad all went well...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Better to be paranoid and alive than oblivious and dead. I commend you on putting the vehicle between you, good thinking. You not only put cover in front of you but you put distance/barrier between you leaving a few precious seconds to react if needed. Bad stuff happens fast and when the hairs stand up on the neck we need to act (like you did) or your further behined the curve.

Glad all went well...
A+ on Awareness, and your girls will have a Merry Christmas and most likely be none the wiser. Timing is everything!

·
Registered
14 Posts
ALWAYS go with your initial gut reaction/instinct.

NEVER question it.

Our modern society has bred much of this instinct out of people - and they are the most easily victimized.

ALWAYS err on the side of caution and make the "other guy" take the risk, NOT YOU (especially with kids to defend).

Once a potential threat enters your personal space the gun becomes much less effective - and besides, why should you risk even a scratch, let alone a blade to the lungs.

Respect and hone your instincts - they are what will probably save you.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Your gut instincts rarely let you down. Best case scenario is you had to be a little rude to a guy. Worst case is that your gut was correct and this guy was going to do you harm. Like you, there is no gray area when my kids are involved. Good job.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts