1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm (finally) switching to nothing but CLP for my AR15's. Good cleaning properties and you don't have to worry about clearing away harsh cleaning products. It also leaves a coating of teflon behind -- the longer it's used the thicker the layer of teflon. At least that's the theory. And those in the know over on AR15.com swear by nothing else.

Does the same theory hold true on 1911's? Why is it that more people don't use strickly CLP for the Cleaning, Lubricating and Protecting of their 1911's? Is it that CLP, while good, is surpassed by some of the other choices out there (such as Wilson Ultima Lube)?

I would LOVE to get rid of the Hoppes #9 (or at least only use it occassionally) and just boresnake and scrub with CLP. I could finally go back to taking more than one or two guns to the range and not have to spend all night cleaning them.

TIA

·
Registered
293 Posts
i use strictly break free clp for cleaning my guns. i find that it works good, and like you said, i don't have to worry about getting harsh cleaning chemicals off of my gun.

i find that break free does a good job of cleaning and lubing. i have recenlty started using a gun grease on my duty 1991A1 to help slick it up a bit, and i was curious if it really made a difference.

boresnakes are a must anymore! i have one for my duty shotgun too (its my personal weapon) and it works great.

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I too use CLP almost exclusively. Two exceptions:
1. When I get my SS 1911, I will probably use grease on the rails.
2. I clean my rifle bores with Butch's Bore Shine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I use Break Free or Hoppe's #9 for cleaning, and Break Free for general lube.

I ALWAYS put a bit of grease on the rails of all my pistols.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Break Free gets my vote as well. Now we know for sure that the military gave us 2 great products - the 1911 and break free. Oh, there are others these just happened to top my list.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts