1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend going down to Greenville to see family, and she wants to find a place to shoot and any local matches there.

On USPSA.ORG we found a club in anderson and one in gville. Anyone know of some others (IDPA or USPSA). Also just a nice public range for practice.

Thanks
GD

·
Registered
967 Posts
GD,
When's she going to be in town? I'd be glad to have her down to the GGC as my guest, if our schedules click. The Second sunday of the month is for IDPA matches and they start at about 0900hrs. The third sunday is for IPSC matches and they also start around 0900. Match fee is $10 and $15, respectively.

Let me know.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
She made it to the match just fine.

From the initial phone conversation I had with her, she greatly underestimates her abilities. Not a great amount of speed yet, but she is very smooth, accurate, and has a great attitude. I wish she was a regular at the match.

My 1st stage is famous (very locally anyway) for being a major SOB to survive without being eaten alive. I was eaten alive this month with 4 penalties. Your friend finished the stage one place below me with only 1 penalty and 7 less points, and no excuses (mine were really good). She also placed higher than 2 regular shooters on the stage from hell.

She also didn't finish last overall.

I'll PM you with the site for the results of today's match.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THanks WP, she e-mailed me the results. She is a new shooter, I think this is her 4th or 5th match after completing a class I help out with up here. She's made tremendous improvements since she started, and most importantly she has a great attitude as you know.

She's actually been shooting more matches than her husband, who also took our class.

She reported she had a great time and is looking fwd to shooting with you guys again. She said you guys are even friendlier and more helpful than our clubs are, apparently "it's a southern thing" ;)

She was over at our house friday night to borrow 2 mags and a mag pouch from my wife, leaving at 4am that morning to get down there for some family time saturday and then the match. But she mad the trip primarily for the match!

We'll look fwd to coming down sometime and shooting w/your club, we have friends in Clemson and Greenville as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't believe I found this thread. I'm in Spartanburg, sort of new to shooting. Just started shooting earlier this year. If you guys don't laugh too loud, I'd like to give it a try one of these days. (you could probably laugh as loud as you like, doubt you'd drown out the wife's laughter.) :D

·
Registered
967 Posts
Just left me out of the loop entirely, didnja!?! I'm hurt, people.

Glad she had a good time and shot well.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Focus/Others

You really need to get involved with the sport. "One of these days" is way too long to wait.

Most shooters will bend over backwards to help a new shooter.

This week I've been having an e-mail discussion with a person from NC who is interested in shooting USPSA. I'm already planning on meeting this person at the club to run a couple or three practice stages, try my guns, learn range commands, safety rules, and generally figure each other out. Of course I'm going to determine the person's basic skill level in gun handling before we do much of anything. We'll go from there.

The club has 3 different action pistol matches, and while I'd rather everyone shoot USPSA, I won't hesitate to recommend another match if it would be a better fit for that person.

I will make myself available for anyone who is interested in shooting USPSA. Not a big deal or a great amount of trouble, as I'd be practicing anyway. Another person makes it easier to pick up all the brass.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
gendarms2000

I'd love to have you shoot at my match.

Your friend has caught the fever bad. She's now talking about working/shooting the SC State match this April.

She definitely needed the loan of your mags due to a fairly high round count. If you notice new scratches or dings, just blame me. With a mandatory reload on stage 3, she really had no choice.

We haven't had a woman shoot the match since I've been attending, so I was happy that the guys treated her right.

She definitely got a good intro to movers/steel just in the first stage. I had 2 floppers, 2 US poppers, 10 plates, 2 falling steel targets, 2 drop turners, and a pair of swingers on that stage besides the paper targets. I believe it's name: "Steel Dream (Metal Nightmare)" was appropriate.

The second stage featured a pair of disappearing floppers that I had just constructed. The paper came up and fell down so fast that everyone suddenly had a new appreciation for drop turners. Of course I was very pleased. I may retrofit the other 3 floppers with the disappearing feature.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Walking Point said:
gendarms2000

I'd love to have you shoot at my match.
Thanks for the invite, we'll have to consider it. We really should visit our friends in the area down there.

Your friend has caught the fever bad. She's now talking about working/shooting the SC State match this April.
Yes she has already made plans. I wouldn't be surprised if she takes the NROI LVL1 RO class next time it is offered here.

She definitely needed the loan of your mags due to a fairly high round count. If you notice new scratches or dings, just blame me. With a mandatory reload on stage 3, she really had no choice.
Mags are for dropping (except in IDPA hehe).

We haven't had a woman shoot the match since I've been attending, so I was happy that the guys treated her right.
We usually have at least 5 ladies out of 40 or so shooters at one club. Some of them come from our IPSC new shooter class.

http://shootersparadise.com/ipsc/spring2003ipsc/index.shtml

It's a good recruiting tool for our section, and it yields new shooters who are trained in safety, and in the rules of the game.

She definitely got a good intro to movers/steel just in the first stage. I had 2 floppers, 2 US poppers, 10 plates, 2 falling steel targets, 2 drop turners, and a pair of swingers on that stage besides the paper targets. I believe it's name: "Steel Dream (Metal Nightmare)" was appropriate.

The second stage featured a pair of disappearing floppers that I had just constructed. The paper came up and fell down so fast that everyone suddenly had a new appreciation for drop turners. Of course I was very pleased. I may retrofit the other 3 floppers with the disappearing feature.
Sounds like a creative and fun match. Nice job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts