1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, what is up with IDPA? I thought it was supposed to be "realistic" competitive shooting. Realistic scenarios, stock guns, regular gear, holsters, etc.

I'm reading this stuff about load factors, chronying loads, etc. You don't just go out there with regular ammo? I was kinda looking forward to finding a local (or as local as I can get in WV, they're all a couple of hours from me!) club to start learning defensive shooting. Now I'm worried it'll be all over my head!

I've checked out the website, but I'm still in the dark.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
That's exactly why loads are chrono'd - to make sure no one is using wimp loads (light target loads). IDPA requires a certain power factor in each division (if you've seen their website, you can get that info).

PF = bullet weight (gr's.) x velocity (FPS) divided by 1000.

Most factory ammo will make the minimum power factor. Handloading is where some of the "gaming" qualities come into play. I've seen some cut it so fine, that a change in temperature has DQ'd their ammo that would have passed the day before.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lemme guess......lighter load = less recoil = faster shooting, yadda, yadda, yadda. That about it?

How does IDPA stack up as a way of training, or measuring your own individual training? I'm thinking I'm going to have to take a course or two (Storm Mountain, anyone have any experience with them?) but most of my learning is going to be on my own. The nearest IDPA guys are like a couple hours away. I can't be doing that with as much regularity as I'd like.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Allen, you're on the right track with your thinking.....

IDPA excels at measuring your own training and progress. Most serious competitors don't play this game to beat each other. It's themselves vs. the clock.

If you get involved with a good club, it is an excellent way to track your progress.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Storm Mountain hosts IDPA shoots once a month on one of the Saturdays. I don't know about the training, but one of the guys that shoots IDPA there is one of their pistol instructors. He's a very compitent competitor. Check out the website of the Mason-Dixon rifle club and you'll probably get some info about the area shoots. The IDPA site has them as one of thier links.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pity the nearest club is in Marietta, OH!

Oh well, nothing worth having (even skill) comes easy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Allen,
The club at Marietta is Ken Hackathorn's home club. There are usually several Masters there each month. It's a good club. The season is over there for this year.
The club at Tyler County WV will keep shooting for at least part of the winter.

BILL

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The club at Marietta is Ken Hackathorn's home club.
That by itself sounds like a good reason to make the drive. No sense in not learning from a Master!

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
Originally posted by AllenTC2:
That by itself sounds like a good reason to make the drive. No sense in not learning from a Master!
Please don't mistake IDPA for training. It is still and just a game, like Fremont posted earlier. Don't expect to get "training" from Ken at the matches. I'm sure he'll give you tips and pointers if he is there but there is not enough time to "learn" at the matches. He'll be very busy soon with classes and he won't make many of the matches.
Otherwise go to the matches and meet people and watch what they do, what equipment they use, then judge and decide for yourself what works and what don't

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ummmm, I don't think I ever said I expected him to "train" me. But thanks for the advice nonetheless. Since you mentioned it, where can I find out about his classes?

I would disagree that IDPA is NOT training. While it is certainly not "instruction", it is practice and a means of evaluating your progress, two key parts of training. Instruction is merely a part of training, not the whole.

[This message has been edited by AllenTC2 (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
Ken teach a lot of military and SWAT classes to law enforcement and the FEDs. His very few civilian classes are not really advertised and are scheduled for when he's not teaching the FEDS. You can check the "Training talk and Events" here from time to time. His civilian classes are usually by request so they fill up pretty quick.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm guessing they are for people who already have quite a bit of experience, not novices. Would that be the case?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts