1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen several posts where the Powermag + is brought up, but no pics. I have used the Powermag a lot and like them. The only malfunction I have ever encountered with them have been feeding hollowpoints on the last round. I attribute this to the folded follower tipping forward. Also, many of you have heard about the "don't use the CMC mags with an aluminum framed 1911, it will tip forward and ding the feedramp".

So, I decided to do a side-by side comparison of the two mags. The Powermag is on the RIGHT and the Powermag + is on the LEFT in all pics.

Top of mags

Closeup of the followers. Note the differences in design.

Everything else between the mags looks the same except for the followers.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So, the ad for the mag claims to be anti-tilt. When looking at the design, the only thing I can think of is that the rounded lower part of the follower is the key to the design. The only way to see was to do a test.

I inserted one round into each mag to simulate the last round.

I then pushed each round straight out and was surprised at what I saw. The Powermag jumped forward quite a bit, whereas the Powermag + did not.

Top view

Side View

So as you can see, the design does seem to keep the new follower from jumping forward. I don't think the Powermag + will ding your feedramps like the standard Powermag. The only thing left now is for me to take it to the range and do some tests with hollowpoints to see how well the new mags feed the last round.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The only thing left now is for me to take it to the range and do some tests with hollowpoints to see how well the new mags feed the last round.
Please update us on how your tests turn out with the Powermag + in feeding the last round, especially with hollowpoints. Thank you for a most informative post.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I thought the current version of the Power Mag Plus had an additional leg attached to the front of the follower to prevent forward tip. In fact that is what Chip McCormick Power Mag Mag Plus advertisments show.

I agree with "sirgrumps", those followers look like them came from 1st generation Power Mag and a Shooting Star.

Is there more than one version of the Power Mag Plus?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought the current version of the Power Mag Plus had an additional leg attached to the front of the follower to prevent forward tip. In fact that is what Chip McCormick Power Mag Mag Plus advertisments show.

I agree with "sirgrumps", those followers look like them came from 1st generation Power Mag and a Shooting Star.

Is there more than one version of the Power Mag Plus?
No, this is the most recent version purchased recently. Somehow the shape of that leg helps from tipping.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please update us on how your tests turn out with the Powermag + in feeding the last round, especially with hollowpoints. Thank you for a most informative post.
I sure will. I haven't forgotten. All I need is for it to stop raining here long enough to do some more testing! They work great with FMJ, but of course the standard powermags do as well. My plan is to try Golden Sabers as soon as the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Thanks, RDH. I bought a Powermag + about 6 mo ago and it has that same follower in it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've been using the PM+ mags for about 10 months. They run fine and they haven't chewed up my alloy frame S&W's feed ramp.

I'm not sure why the follower doesn't slide forward like some other ones do.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for this informative post. I recently purchased some CMC Power mags and am wanting to try the new CMC Power mag + and see how they compare. I am looking forward to seeing your results and see how they compare with my own.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Very enlightening post. I learned something new today. Thanks. Looking forward to that range report.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Powermag+ works well with JHP

Had a chance to test the 2 Powermag+ mags with JHP. I shot a 50 round box of Winchester JHP through my Kimber TLE II and it functioned great -- no last round feeding problems. My next test will be with Gold Dots. My next mag purchase will be more Powermag+ !!!

·
Premium Member
14,950 Posts
Thanks for posting this rdh as I had heard several different descriptions of the follower and thought it may have been skirted from what was said. The original was done with the lopped off corner specifically so it would slip forward on the last round and more or less force a shooter to drop the mag before the slide, which should always be done, but did cause a nick on alloy frame ramps.

LOG

·
Registered
111 Posts
Interesting, I have some of the CMC 8 and 10rd mags, non are the +, I'll have to take a look and see if my followers slide forward like that. I havn't noticed any issues with firing the last round or the mags dropping free.

If there was a problem is there a follower swap that can be done? I think I had read somewhere about people swapping in Wilson guts into these mags to make them "better"

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I have several of the regular Powermags as well and have never had an issue with FMJ, only with JHP on the last round. The tipping has never been an issue otherwise, and I have never had a fired CMC mag fail to drop free.

Sure, you could swap the spring and follower for a Wilson or a Tripp. Some people do that and love that combo because the CMC tubes are great. I have tried putting a Wilson kit in some of mine, but the spring was no where as strong as the Powermag spring, so I swapped back. The Tripp kits are much better, IMO, but you give up 1 round. However, I have not been able to locate the new Powermag+ follower on the CMC website, so I assume they are not for sale individually yet. If they do offer them I will replace all of my standard CMC followers with those, because they allow 8 rounds, have a strong spring, and are anti-tilt.

Maybe they aren't offering them because they want you to buy the entire new mag!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just ordered 2 CMC Powermag 10-round from cheaperthandirt. They did not have the PM+ though.

I'll update with results becuase I have FMJ and Hollow point ammo to test. If the 10-rounders fail to feed the 10th round of hollow point, I'll just use them for target shooting with FMJ ammo. My factory Sig 8-rd mags feed the hollow points just fine so they will be the dedicated HP mags if this happens.

I didn't see the PM+ internals on the CMC website either, I think they only want to sell the entire magazine right now.

(Reference: Cheaperthandirt.com - CMC Powermag 1911 Magazine, 10 rounds: $24.97 Each + shipping)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
So, that's the extra 5 bucks for the +. :eek:

I don't have any trouble with the originals, but probably good for the aluminum framed guns.

Why doesn't it just replace the original...if it's better and clearly no additional manufacturing costs...at the same price of course. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.