1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a good measure of hours reviewing posts and found quite a bit of good info on my 1911A1.

I know from the CMP literature and markings that I have an Ithaca slide on a Remington Rand frame.

I think from the stamping this is an Anniston Armory rebuild.

Based on the serial no, my magazine appears period correct.

Grips correct and contracted to Keyes for manufacture.

Several other markings, including one partially obliterated, I couldn’t find information on. I appreciate any help you folks can provide! What’s the A? H? Partial stamp?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jack!

According to this website Frame and Slide Markings

-The Cross-cannon stamp on the frame next to the grip and trio of pins, is the Ordinance Department Inspection Stamp.

-The A could be the stamp for the person who assembled your pistol.

-The H is likely a partially struck P proof mark like the one of the top of your slide.

My rack grade Remington Rand has similar markings.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great information! Thanks for the link too… didn’t see this one during my browsing.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Your magazine is post-war contract mag (1970s). You should disassemble and find out any marking on the barrel.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s interesting. You’ll be seeking the same answers on yours then. How long after you received your RGN did you have to wait?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I knew it was a mutt, but I had no idea as to just how much a mutt it would be. Why do so many advocate against using these as shooters?

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
The slides are not fully heat treated. They are better than 1911s with no heat treatment but not as durable as postwar GI replacements or commercials.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Totally fine as shooter. Just make sure replace recoil spring / hammer firing pin spring and not shoot hot load ammos.

Edit: I meant recoil spring + firing pin spring, not hammer spring.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I would replace right away as you don't know how many rounds went through those springs before Army packed up for storage. Keep those original from CMP in the box so you have the original one in case you want to put it back for future sale.

Wolff Springs are inexpensive and you can buy 2-3 pack and last a couple of thousand rounds before re-order replacement springs. Wolff already include firing pin spring in each recoil spring you purchased. No need to buy separately. Depending on who you ask, people change recoil spring between 2k to 3k rounds.
  • Factory Standard.: 16 Lb.

·
Premium Member
16,600 Posts
Do you have a rebuild mark or not? The 'A' you showed is not one. Anniston would be 'ANAD' on the RH side with a date, like '8 67' for example. Augusta Arsenal is 'AA' on the LH side. Do you have anything like that on the frame in the trigger area?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Rim

Bumper Automotive exterior Grey Bicycle part Auto part

Do you have a rebuild mark or not? The 'A' you showed is not one. Anniston would be 'ANAD' on the RH side with a date, like '8 67' for example. Do you have anything like that on the frame in the trigger area?
I do. ANAD 2 78. The “A” I’m told is probably the person who did the rebuild in 1978. Anyone know what the “H” on the right side lower trigger guard area is?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Augusta Arsenal is 'AA' on the LH side. Do you have anything like that on the frame in the trigger area?
I was hoping to Augusta Arsenal, but one can’t be too choosy on CMP lotto. I felt lucky to finally get one.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good folks, anyone impart some of your knowledge on what these various stampings are? Tell me the date of issue for the frame?

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
#1981363 is a Remington Rand, one of approximately 50,000 pistols shipped in November 1944. Right side trigger guard marking are, I believe, RR assembler and inspector markings.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts