1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I put in for round 2 and I just received a very nice Colt. As far as I can tell, the only replacement part is the left grip and all of the escutcheons have been staked. I do not believe it was ever overhauled or rebuilt.

Please let me know if you see any non-Colt parts on this gun.

I am very happy with the pistol I received.

Thanks Guys/Gals for your input,

Brett

Attachments

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I like the looks of that, well done ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thats a very nice looking Colt! Definitely the best field grade i have seen posted. Enjoy.

·
Administrator
74,731 Posts
I've said it before, but the field grades as of late look better than the service grades. Without seeing close-ups I can't say for sure about the finish, but from this distance it looks original to me. BTW the LH grip is the correct Colt. The RH grip is a Keyes which went on the other contractors' guns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DSK,
Your are correct. I made a mistake, it is the right grip that was replaced not the left.
Brett

·
Administrator
74,731 Posts
There shouldn't be a serial number underneath the firing pin stop plate. Assuming that is so the slide may be original to the frame.

·
Administrator
74,731 Posts
So far so good then. What markings are on the barrel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far so good then. What markings are on the barrel?
DSK,
The barrel details:
- "COLT" 45 AUTO (approx 1/16 inch letters) on the port side if the chamber, its low, almost at the barrel link lug (not sure on terminology).
- Approx. 3/16 inch "P" is stamped on the port side barrel link lug.
- Approx. 1/8 inch "7" is stamped on the under side of the barrel, about 3/8 inch forward of the barrel link lugs.

The barrel was very dirty and almost looked like it had pitting inside. However, it cleaned up very nicely and has no pitting. I am sure the initial condition of the barrel dropped this from a Service to a Field grade.

Brett

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
There is no SN under the firing pin stop plate.

Brett
That's a head scratcher, there doesn't appear to be a flame hardened area around the slide stop/takedown notch, that's not something I would have expected for a 1944 built pistol.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
74,731 Posts
That's a head scratcher, there doesn't appear to be a flame hardened area around the slide stop/takedown notch, that's not something I would have expected for a 1944 built pistol.
It's not always easy to see. It mostly stands out after a refinish. The barrel sounds legit as well, so it's looking like the OP got a helluva bargain on a mostly unmolested Colt M1911A1 from CMP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
You are correct, even in different lighting, I can't see the hardened areas around the slide stop/takedown notch.

I am thinking Dsk is correct about it the possibility that the hardening is there but not showing.

Brett

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's not always easy to see. It mostly stands out after a refinish. The barrel sounds legit as well, so it's looking like the OP got a helluva bargain on a mostly unmolested Colt M1911A1 from CMP.
I am still learning. Just curious, is it normal to see such a faint Colt Pony symbol with original slide finish? Thank you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts