1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about buying an m1 from cmp. talked to them on the phone today and prices start at 400 bucks. any tips on buying from them and also what to buy from them? i'm an ar and 1911 guy and don't know a helluva lot about the m1 except i'd like to pick one up and get acquainted w/ it this winter while the snow flies. i didn't do a search on this tho i probably should have. just wondering what to beware of. thanx, rick

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Rick, if I were you I would get a "service grade" Springfield for $500. Check out www.battlerifles.com ,in the garand section there are several topics you can read about on purchasing your first garand and what to expect. First thing you are going to want to do is clean the stock up, so read up on that also. Beyond that buy lots of ammo and have fun.:D

BTW I quess you already have the CMP web site http://www.odcmp.com/

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a M1 from cmp, got the Danish issue VAR barrell, excellent rifle. The VAR barrel is supposed to be a little more accurate and so far it has been. The rifle itself was in great condition, wood matched and metal wear all seamed to match.
I recomend that you get a rifle in the $400 to $500 dollar range. The lower end rifles are pretty worn. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i got a danish w/ a VAR barrel last year. great gun! told them i wanted a shooter on the form. stock was kinda beat, but i cleaned it up. really nice gun. i guess the danish ones were all arsenally re-done by the danes, mine is in great shape, shoots alot better than i can. the barrel is pretty fresh, good crown, headspace, etc. not good if your a collector type, i wanted a good shooter, and with the new springfields going for 2x+ as much $, you can't beat the danish ones. i think i'm gonna get another...........you gotta wait some, though, i think mine took about 3 months........

·
Registered
396 Posts
So, I'm not the only one recently inspired to purchase and M1 by the advertisement in the front cover of American Rifleman?

I don't know much about them, but I've been craving one for a while now. What's the difference between the ones that fed off clips vs. the mags? Just M1 vx. M1A? I think I'd want one as authentic WW2 as possible.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The Italians built a Garand based 7.62mmNATO rifle that was mag fed called the BM-fiftysomething.

The M14 is the US derivative of the M1 Garand. It's got a 20rd detachable magazine and also fires the 7.62mmNATO. The receiver is shorter, it has a self regulating gas system (w/ indendat gas piston) that is hung just forward of the stock ferrule. It's got a flash suppressor. The M14 was brought into service just prior to Vietnam. The M14 is capable of select fire if equipped w/ a selector switch. The M1A is a commercially manufactured clone of the USGI M14.

The Garand's gas cylinder is out at the end of the barrel and the piston is an integral part of the oprod (the oprod is a lot longer). The Garand has an upper handguard that runs out to the gas cylinder, so it has wood more or less from end to end. The Garand was the main battlerifle during WW2 and Korea. Garand is fed from an eight round clip that automatically ejects when the rifle empties. The Garand was chambered in 30-06, although there are commercial conversions and a very few military ones that will fire 7.62mmNATO.

Check for pictures at www.springfieldarmory.com and fultonarmory.com.

·
Registered
523 Posts
J Taylor said:
So, I'm not the only one recently inspired to purchase and M1 by the advertisement in the front cover of American Rifleman?

I don't know much about them, but I've been craving one for a while now. What's the difference between the ones that fed off clips vs. the mags? Just M1 vx. M1A? I think I'd want one as authentic WW2 as possible.
M1A's are what the new Springfield Armory call their version of the old M14. The M14 is basically the next generation of the M1 - and yes, it had a magazine. There were some Franken-Garands built by individuals during WWII, but they were not adopted. Probably one good reason being the weight of a Garand is already pretty high. The SA M1A's are awesome, accurate guns. And the price is awesome, too. (in a bad way). But I still want one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts