1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
Well they'd better hurry before Creepy Joe stops the whole thing and has them all melted down into manhole covers.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
I’ll put in for it this time.

Reactions: mtime7

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
What is the appeal of a random parts 1911? Its not collectible, right? I dont get it. There are plenty of government 1911 Colts out there for under $1000

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
What is the appeal of a random parts 1911? Its not collectible, right? I dont get it. There are plenty of government 1911 Colts out there for under $1000
They say the appeal is that these are coming directly from the US GOVERNMENT to the CMP to the individual. These are not imported or take home pistols. That’s the allure.

Reactions: Frank Vaccaro

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
There is also the fact that these will likely be the last US government-issue pistols to ever sold directly to civilians, and obviously the last M1911-type pistols. It is interesting to note that plenty of M1911 and older military pistols now belong to civilians, and there of course have been the non-direct sales of factory-returned M45A1 and M17 pistols, but there have been virtually no sales of true US military M9 pistols nor will there likely ever be. There is but a handful of general officers and non-standard issue M9 pistols in private hands, and a tiny number of normal GI pistols that were actually stolen (which BTW are a felony to possess, and Uncle Sam WILL prosecute), but aside from that if you want to get your surplus US military issue fix these CMP pistols are about the only option.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I disagree with the comment" they aren't collectable, right?"
Actually, they are.

Rebuilds are just a different aspect/variation and will be at a different value point than that of a "original as manufactured" piece.
And as far as Rebuilds go, there seem to be two levels of collectability and value:
-Those that have provenance and "official rebuild" status either because they have arsenal rebuild stamps or certifying paperwork (CMP)
-Those that look correct for a "official" rebuild but are not marked as such.

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
The problem with arsenal-rebuilt 1911s is that it's really hard to tell if a given pistol truly is an arsenal rebuild and still in its as-rebuilt state, versus one that was screwed with by a commercial shop or private owner. Even with the CMP pistols we're constantly hearing from guys who want to swap parts back to make their guns look factory-correct again. Unfortunately even with CMP pistols you don't know if the employees at CMP may have swapped parts out or repaired the guns before selling them. As a result these guns have to be treated in a sort of "it is what it is" fashion and priced accordingly. Like bayoned said if there is DCM/CMP paperwork with it you're more likely to see a higher dollar value. I would like to own an arsenal-rebuilt 1911 myself at some point, but I'm certainly not going to pay a large sum for one especially without solid evidence that it remains untouched since the arsenal.

Reactions: Flight Medic

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could the CMP be doing some repairs on some, yes it is entirely possible, but the vast majority of what I have seen, (2 that are in my house) these are in new rebuilt condition and there wouldn't be any reason for the CMP to do anything to them but send them out the door. Yes there is no proof, but is there ever?

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
They say the appeal is that these are coming directly from the US GOVERNMENT to the CMP to the individual. These are not imported or take home pistols. That’s the allure.
Yeah, I guess I'm not that nostalgic. Maybe if Audie Murphy rubbed his balls on it or something.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I got one of the very first ones in the luck of the draw. I was offered a service grade take it or leave it. I took the chance and got an A marked rebuild RR with a Colt slide and mixed GI parts. It's and shooter and that's all. Some lucked out with some nice pistols. Would I put in again if allowed, nope...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I live in Talladega County, Alabama, not far from Anniston Depot. I have friend who works for CMP and has so since the 1911 program began. He and his team members uncrate. inspect, function and serviceability test the weapons, replace/exchange parts if necessary and "grade" the pistols for sale.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I've been quite surprised at some of the pistols some folks have gotten. Many look quite correct if not original , and some did not have rebuild stamps. I have an original Rem Rand , and didn't put my package in before , but after seeing what folks have been getting , I will this time.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
The CMP 1911s are not for everyone, you gotta meet some simple qualification. If most of your guns are plastic/polymer, you don’t like heavy guns or you do not own a 1911 built before 1970 then you probably would not keep one if you were lucky enough to.get one. This Is one of those things/times many folks will be saying “I wish I had...” or “I could’ve....” or “I had an opportunity to but,...”. These guns come with documentation, will always be worth more than you paid and because they are NOT new but arsenal rebuilds are shootable. Think of owning one of these guns as your personal issued 1911 take home with official take home authorization. You are only paying for the shipping, refinish, inspection, a great shipping case and 75 years of storage. When you use some new math on the deal, the gun is free. It just takes accurate paperwork, and patience. If the deal does not sound appealing, by all means pass on it. You might never regret it, and if you do you can always wish.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Here you go dsk. Perhaps this one will tickle your fancy.
24D8A6E8-6E89-40F7-AB54-1FAFBDACAA39_1_201_a.jpeg
EDFEA958-12EA-4426-B13C-3D90DC1EE755_1_201_a.jpeg
2D334D04-7C9C-4E2D-89C3-27A7A836C800_1_201_a.jpeg
F2A8925F-F46F-467B-A149-91ECB7C412E3_1_201_a.jpeg
An RIA marked pistol that shows no evidence of having been handled or fired since refurbishment.
A September-November shipped 1943 double stamp Ithaca, #907214, that falls in the proper serial number range for double stamped pistols (#906000-#916404). The frame, slide and barrel are unmolested. The blend of small parts is correct for the time period. The grips near perfect and the magazine is an original finish Scovill.

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
I got one of the very first ones in the luck of the draw. I was offered a service grade take it or leave it. I took the chance and got an A marked rebuild RR with a Colt slide and mixed GI parts. It's and shooter and that's all. Some lucked out with some nice pistols. Would I put in again if allowed, nope...
Honestly that is what prevented me from getting in on it. I knew that it was going to be a total crapshoot regarding what you got. Some were really lucky and got a pistol like filson's that was an absolute bargain at the price. But I also saw where others got boat anchors, and it didn't seem to matter whether you paid for a service grade or rack grade. There are several comments from others where somebody received a mediocre service grade, while their buddy got a rack grade that was actually nicer. Whenever I roll the dice it never seems to come out well, so I prefer to stick with the existing market where I seek guns that I can actually see first before buying.

Reactions: corpsman5

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Personally, I don't think I have seen a CMP 1911 that wasn't worth what someone paid, and I would say most were worth much more than paid. Now it might not have a seat at your table of collectables, but they are worth the money paid. I will go back again to the GI parts 1911 built on a essex frame that sold for $850 on GB, I don't give a crap what rack grade you got, its going to be better than that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts