1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is comfortable with some of my pistols, but extremely comfortable with shotguns. So, I want to get her a shotgun for the home and am leaning towards a hammerless coach 12 ga.
I don't think she would have a problem with a remington 870, 18" bbl, but the size and lack of slide on a coach might be easier for to handle in a high stress situation.

Would you go for capacity of the pump or the point and shoot simplicity of a double barrel?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would go for a Saiga. Lots of capacity and if she needs to reload it has be easier to fumble around with a single mag then a handful of shells.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice thought, but I want to stick with one of the two because they are in a traditional shotgun form. She's not going to be comfortable with a saiga.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The gun is for your wife, right? Why don't you let her try them out and decide?

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
The gun is for your wife, right? Why don't you let her try them out and decide?
Best idea.

Just keep in mind that most coach guns will have an automatic safety that sets every time you break the action open. Unless you either have it disabled or train & drill her in thumbing it off every time she brings the gun up in a stress situation she could be pulling a trigger that won't fire the gun.

Depending on her build she may be better with a youth model pump gun in either 12 or 20 Gauge. Also something like a Remington 11/87 or a Mossy 935 semi-auto in HD configuration might simplify things. Simple to run once loaded and still traditional.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I am not a big fan of shotguns for inside the home defense. Especially not one of Joe Bidens double barrels. Though I want to buy one someday just to have, coach guns pretty much are a product of the 1800's. There are better options today with a greater chance of keeping your loved ones alive.

If you are a bad enough shot that you feel you need a shotgun, what you need is practice, not shot spread. Pattern your shotgun at self defense distances - 3-5-10 yards and see for yourself. At close (interior) ranges, under 30 feet the shot spread is not much more than a bullet. Yes, if you hit the target with a shotgun a follow up shot is probably not necessary. But it's essentially a very long, loud .44 mag derringer. Two shots and you're done.

I recommend a full size pistol for inside the house, with a laser and a light. 9mm preferred for the person who seldom shoots. Provides 16+ rounds with minimal recoil. Glock 17, CZ 75, or whatever variant you prefer.

A shotgun is good for isolated locations. If you live on a farm, suburban acre, etc, where a fight may start or finish outside at moderate distances. However an M4 is still a better choice in many instances. 30 rounds vs 4-8.

I suggest a semi-auto like the Remington 1100. Less recoil, immediate reload. Saigas are not reliable enough IMHO without additional work, and I don't feel would be a good option for the average female shooting in defense of home and family. Shotgun should have laser and light mounted.

All the above said - what's in my closet? A Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip and folding stock. And a 1911 Sig on my nightstand with a separate flashlight. :) :)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Hands down, I would choose a 20ga pump shotgun with 18" to 20" barrel and start letting her get range time and at least one 8 hour class specifically for defensive shotguns use.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Coach guns are usually pretty light. Makes for brisk recoil.

I sorta have the same quandry. I'm going to see if mine can run and manage my Mossberg 500 12 ga before I consider another gun for her.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Forget pumps, forget coach unless she's extremely good UNDER PRESSURE. I think this is the #1 mistake everyone makes when deciding on a self-defense weapon. Anybody can rack a round on the range but it takes grace to do so while full of adrenaline and fear.

With that said, I'd go for a Benelli or well-tuned Remington 1100 in 20 gauge, and the shortest possible barrel, with the best SD rounds you can find. Even pressure and dependability are key here. Six or more rounds of 0 buckshot in a blam-blam-blam situation is surely going to do whatever needs doing.

I'd have a can of pepper spray strapped to the stock too, just in case she runs out of ammo. (But then again I'm a worst case scenario kinda guy)

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
As stated before, let your wife decide. Mine selected a 935 SPX after shooting trap with several different shotguns. She had never shot a shotgun prior to this.

·
Registered
24,381 Posts
The pump is not a good choice for the novice shooter.

As Rumblur stated. People that are pumped up on adrenaline as just about anybody in a lethal confrontation is. These people will often short stroke a pump. If you are not willing to go the auto route? Then I would go with the double.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Most of the criticisms of the pump action seem to be training issues. The answer is train, train, train. You don't have to just do SD or HD drills. Get her a 20g 870 and shoot backyard trap. Who doesn't enjoy that? Pretty soon the use of the safety and action are second nature.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't know if it would be something for consideration but before I got into handguns I bought a Mossberg 590 SpeedFeed 9 pump action, 18" bbl for home defense. It holds 8 shells in the tube plus one in the chamber and four in the stock. It also has a heat shield that came with it. I bought it new from a lgs years back.

I've had no problems with it at all nor has my teenage son who uses it to shoot flying clay targets. He's using it for practice until he gets a shotgun specifically for Trap shooting.

It has been used for hunting and for shooting targets but it was also used once to save my son's life from two very bad vicious animals that were on the verge of attacking if he dared move.

I now shoot handguns so my .45 would be my go to gun in a life threatening situation inside the home because it is what I practice shooting often, carry and is always near me. The Mossberg is here if I should need it.

·
Premium Member
7,712 Posts
I don't know if it would be something for consideration but before I got into handguns I bought a Mossberg 590 SpeedFeed 9 pump action, 18" bbl for home defense. It holds 8 shells in the tube plus one in the chamber and four in the stock. It also has a heat shield that came with it. I bought it new from a lgs years back.

I've had no problems with it at all nor has my teenage son who uses it to shoot flying clay targets. He's using it for practice until he gets a shotgun specifically for Trap shooting.

It has been used for hunting and for shooting targets but it was also used once to save my son's life from two very bad vicious animals that were on the verge of attacking if he dared move.

I now shoot handguns so my .45 would be my go to gun in a life threatening situation inside the home because it is what I practice shooting often, carry and is always near me. The Mossberg is here if I should need it.
You either have an 18.5" barrel with a 5+1 capacity or you have a 20" barrel with an 8+1 tube. So what is it ? BTW great choice of shotgun

·
Registered
690 Posts
You either have an 18.5" barrel with a 5+1 capacity or you have a 20" barrel with an 8+1 tube. So what is it ? BTW great choice of shotgun

I called Mossberg and they said it is a 20" so I did mention the wrong barrel length. Sorry about that. :(

They no longer manufacture the model I have but below is a link to a model that a CS employee at Mossberg said would be close to it. Mine looks like the one in the photo. You may be able to find a used one like mine or buy a new model if your wife likes it.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/sho...-special-purpose-special-purpose-9-shot/50665

·
Registered
772 Posts
Here's a variation on the pump shotgun that could make it more suitable/attractive for this application. I recently converted a Rem 870 (18 in barrel, 6+1 magazine) to a bullpup configuration using this kit: http://www.bullpupunlimited.com/ . Result is a shotgun 10 in shorter (about 28 in vs 38 in) than the standard 870 Express Tactical Synthetic model, and maybe 3 oz heavier. Easy conversion, much more maneuverable with minimal recoil, reliable so far, and seems pretty robust even though lots of "polymer". This converted shotgun replaces a KelTec KSG which is about the same size and highly unreliable (at least mine was); main difference is the 6+1 capacity vs the 14+1 capacity of the KSG.

Semi auto shotguns and pistols more likely to malfunction. Not a big deal if the user is willing to train and stay proficient. My wife isnt, so we keep it simple with the 870 and a revolver.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With all due respect, your wife should choose which she prefers.
It is not that I don't want her to choose her own, she just won't. At 6 months pregnant she's not into going gun shopping right now. She has shot, and is capable of handling any of them. I'm asking opinions on which one is easier for a woman to handle in a situation where her primary pistol may not be at hand.
A permanent closet backup if you will.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts