1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got another set of expander dies coated for my dillion 1050 press. I have had in the past problems with the brass grabing on this expander die and causing the ram to jerk and dumping powder all over. I have coated the expander and belling dies before on the 650 and 550. If you reload only fired brass as I do in 40S&W you probably will not need this but if you shoot a lot of new brass 38 super and the like this could be great. I have tumbled the new brass to get a coat of wax on it but this works great with out the work of tumbling.

Ed Henry

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Ed, what exactly is the coating?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have several things done at once about $5-$7. I thinkthey have a 30-50 min. I ran a bunch of drill for work through and this was just part of the order. It takes about 3 days normally. If you contact them they have been very helpful. Ed

·
Registered
889 Posts
Dillon should offer the coating for their expanders and maybe design theprimer bar on the 550 so it needs less maintenance.
Then their press would be perfect instead of 98%.

Just had to chip in - I'm fixin' to load up several thousand .45, 9mm and 38 spec, New brass and old. I got some Hornady One Shot for the new brass but will have to disassemble and clean the primer bar and associated mechanism every 500 rounds when loading the fired brass.

Life could be worse - I started on a Lee reloader - the one where you sized the brass and primed using a hammer. Those were the days....

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made a mis-statement on my earlier post they have $30 or $50 dollar mininum not a 30-50 piece min.

Using one-shot or equal works great but I am lazy and I want to play so I got them coated.

When I used to do volume reloading on my 550 I didn't have that big a problem with the primer bar. I did note than when the black stuff wore off the die cast bar it would get difficult to operate. I don't even know if they still coat the primer bar anymore.
Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts