1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have first hand experience with Tripp Research's (www.trippresearch.com) Cobra Coat Polymer finish on a handgun?

If so:
1. Were you pleased?
2. Does the finish stay on?
3. Would you send another gun to have Cobra Coat applied?
4. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being Hard Chrome, 5 being blued steel) how durable is the finish?

Thanks!
Howard Benz
Memphis

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by benzh:

4. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being Hard Chrome, 5 being blued steel) how durable is the finish?

Thanks!
Howard Benz
Memphis
Howard, if 10 = hard chrome, and 5 = blued steel, what does 1 equal? Jello??!!

Just teasin' ya!
I don't have any info on this type of finish, nor do I know anyone that has tried it.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
Just teasin' ya!
I don't have any info on this type of finish, nor do I know anyone that has tried it.
Then quit wasting bandwidth ya' moron.

My Kimber Compact carry gun has been refinished in Cobra Coat and I am satisfied with it. It's holding up okay. Given that I'm a strong fan of hard chrome, I don't know that I'll have another gun done in Cobra Coat but it remains my choice for a polymer finish.

One thing that's significant to me is the gun worked when it came back Bear Coat (or is it Baer Coat) messed up my friends gun then tried to blame it on the 'smith who previously worked on the gun (which was fine before it went).

I've seen two or three guns hardchromed by Tripp and the quality of the finish is the best I've seen. All were beautiful.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
So is Cobra Coat only recommended for polymer guns?

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by kbear38S:
Then quit wasting bandwidth ya' moron.
Lighten up kbear, it was a JOKE. If you have a personal problem with my sense of humour, feel free to email me. I see that you don't have your address posted, or I would have sent you one first, instead of posting here.

Shane.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
shane, I think kbear probably meant that Cobra is his first choice of a polymer-based finish, not that it was his first choice for a finish on polymer parts. Sounds like Cobra Coat might be a lot like Enduracoat, which is supposed to be a pretty tough finish.

(Are there finishes for polymer frames? That would be weird, to say the least.)

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by jpwright:
(Are there finishes for polymer frames? That would be weird, to say the least.)
Yeah, that WOULD be weird! Thanks for the info jp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts