1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the question i have is i carry a kimber pro carry series 1 all the time. it goes from my hip to my bedroom and stays in the ready position. is this bad on the gun it self i.e. main spring or something else . thanks for any input .stan

·
Registered
504 Posts
No, that's the way it's meant to be carried, aka Condition 1. Do a search on the board and you'll find much good info on the pros cons and history of "cocked & locked" vs. other carry modes.

OTOH, I do hope you take it out and actually shoot it once in a while! :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've never heard of mainsprings weakening from prolonged compression. Unlike the magazine spring the mainspring is made of beefy wire with many coils and only moves a small amount from fully compressed to fully extended. So it's relatively free of stress and should survive almost indefinitely.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Keeping a spring in a compressed state (such as keeping loaded rounds in a magazine) does not weaken the spring, even over a very great length of time.

Springs weaken as a result of cycling from compressed to uncompressed states.

This question has come up often in many gun forums; I finally asked a few mechanical engineers where I work and the above is the answer I got.

-Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts