1911Forum banner
101 - 120 of 170 Posts

· Registered
748 Posts
Getting back to the OP's subject, I have seen the light on carrying cocked and locked. The problem was that my choice of holster was designed by someone who never owned or carried a 1911.
It came equipped with a retention thumb break strap set up for hammer down. I don't mind the thumb break so much but it won't work cocked and locked.
I dropped some exess gear at my friends gun show display today and found a black De Santes 1CL 85 in great condition for $20. It IS meant for cocked and locked carry.

The fit and finish is outstanding. It tucks the gun in nice and tight and works very well on the draw and reholstering.
Nice grab. I prefer a bit more cant. Zip up your pants and who stole Butt??
For the OP, Trivia question: What is a Carry weapon that is not in condition 1?

A Hammer.

· Registered
101 Posts
One of the most heated arguments involving handguns is the proper carry method of the 1911 semi-automatic pistol, or any other single-action semi-auto. I’ve found that those who carry single-action pistols are relentless in their convictions, either adamantly for carrying them “cocked-and-locked" or carrying on an empty chamber.

What say ye...
Cocked and locked is the safest and fastest way to carry the models 1911 and 1911-A1 .45 acp pistols.

· Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I carry cocked and locked in both my shoulder holster and OWB. I wouldn't have it any other way. I also carry my Ruger SR9 and 22/45 cocked and locked and I extend this to my long guns. Only my SAA is carried w/hammer down on an empty chamber.

· Premium Member
1911's, a bunch and counting...
2,120 Posts
I use an angle meter to set my owb cant to exactly 9.43 degrees. That's so the gun will clear the holster with less than a 4 lb pull force or the front sight hanging on the leather. Also I carry "condition 0.5" - at half cock - so when I draw my thumb acts as a 3rd safety AND I can stick my finger in the trigger guard right away for even faster time to first shot.

No. No No No No. Just kidding.
Please don't do the above.

Condition 1 for me.

· Registered
13 Posts
I can only speak for 1911s. Condition One always.

I learned that hard way one day in a local convenience store that a pistol not in condition one is worthless. An argument erupted at the cashier. I was back behind the hot dog machine but in perfect position of this went bad. The only problem was my gun was in condition three (chamber empty loaded mag). That was when I realized that if I cocked my gun all the attention would be on me and I would completely lose my element of surprise which is key in these situations. Lucky for me the argument never got bad enough to deploy my pistol, thank God. From that day forward I am always cocked and locked.
When I was a recruit on Parris Island my Senior Drill Instructor during PMI once told us "If you are ever actively carrying whether it be wartime or peace, if your primary sidearm (at the time a Berretta M1was the standard issue) is not cocked and locked as its intended to be, your holster shall be be housing a tampon or maxi pad instead." To this day 30 years later I still hear him making that as an actual command and meaning it.

· Premium Member
1,939 Posts
When I was a recruit on Parris Island my Senior Drill Instructor during PMI once told us "If you are ever actively carrying whether it be wartime or peace, if your primary sidearm (at the time a Berretta M1was the standard issue) is not cocked and locked as its intended to be, your holster shall be be housing a tampon or maxi pad instead." To this day 30 years later I still hear him making that as an actual command and meaning it.
Go Red Sox

· Registered
4 Posts
There might be a few here who haven't heard this old story:

The Texas Rangers have a very long tradition as a law enforcement agency and the 1911 pistol has been a big part of that. The 1911 is, even today, approved for carry and considered a trademark of the Rangers. As the old (true or not) story goes, a Ranger on the street was approached by a lady who pointed to the cocked-and-locked 1911 pistol in his holster and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?"

The Ranger replied, "Maam, I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous!"
Hear, Hear!!

· Registered
Colt Ser70, Colt M1911A1 (two), RemRand M1911A1, Browning 1911-22, Springfield 1911 RO Compact-9mm
625 Posts
I always carry my EDC hand gun loaded and ready to fire because the situation may arise where a threat is drawing down on you and you need to be able to draw and fire as fast as possible. Those are the dynamic situations where something goes down fast and you don't have time to draw and assess the situation because the threat is close, immediate, and unmistakable.

However, on my HD pistols, (like the one on my night stand) I keep them unloaded with a loaded magazine locked in place ready to simply chamber a round and start shooting. If someone tries to break in, either the noise of trying to kick in the steel outer door and reinforced steel inner front or breaking a window, and then setting off the house alarm, will wake me up with plenty of time to grab the HD pistol or AR15 beside my bed. That's if the dog doesn't first wake me up because she hears a lot of quiet activity that I don't.

If I go outside to take the dog out for her morning constitution, or go out to check the mailbox, that pistol is loaded and ready to fire. It's a 1911 in a shoulder holster with two spare magazines under a light jacket.
WHERE do you live that you MUST have a loaded pistol on you when you check the mailbox????
My recommendation - MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

WAY too much paranoia here in this thread...

As for me being left handed with a non ambi safety (which I'm not used to anyway), getting the safety off is a bigger PITA for me than racking the pistol.

And I don't ASSUME that every step I take is going to be met with an attack by an armed criminal.....

· Registered
3,066 Posts
WHERE do you live that you MUST have a loaded pistol on you when you check the mailbox????
My recommendation - MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

WAY too much paranoia here in this thread...

As for me being left handed with a non ambi safety (which I'm not used to anyway), getting the safety off is a bigger PITA for me than racking the pistol.

And I don't ASSUME that every step I take is going to be met with an attack by an armed criminal.....
I reside in a suburban residential area. The homes were just being built when I had my house built. The majority of the residents are whites, blacks, Africans, hispanics, Mexicans, El Salvadorans, and Vietnamese. The first 3-4 years was fairly crime free. The years after that and crime has increased 10 fold. about 10 years ago I arrested several out of status Africans just around the block from my house.

While I was at work someone poisoned my German Shepherd dog. The vet said he believes it was rat poison. I reported to the city and they put out flyers stating that someone was putting rat poison in raw hamburger meat and tossing it over back yard fences to kill pets. I reported that my dog was poisoned, but, didn't mention rat poison was suspected. So, the city got their intelligence about the rat poison in raw hamburger meat somewhere other than my report.

One day while I was at work, someone stole a full size 16 ft. trampoline from my back yard in broad daylight. I put a pad lock on the back yard gate after that. I also had a steel security door installed on the front entrance.

One Saturday morning I went to the grocery store and when I came back I noticed that someone had attempted to kick in my back yard gate leaving one of the wood slats broken off and lying on the ground.

Every year the residents fire off illegal fireworks. The last 3 years they have started firing off handguns and then rifles and last year fired off handguns and a shotgun rapid fire in the power line easement field that borders my house.

Burglars are regularly reported at all hours of the day and night walking the streets (caught on video cameras) trying to get into parked cars as well as trying to get into homes by testing the front doors even in broad daylight. Some ever were successful in kicking in the front doors to gain access. I added a closed circuit security camera system to monitor my house. I constantly see various different vehicles parking on the street by the easement at all hours of the day and night with people sitting in their cars for hours before they finally leave.

In one attempted vehicle burglary, a cop that works in another city that resides nearby was in uniform about to drive to work and observed a attempted car burglary at about 4 AM and the burglar saw the uniformed cop and fired a shot at him before fleeing. In the neighboring city a Vietnamese gang banger approached a homeowner who was taking his garbage out to the curb and robbed him at gun point, first threatening to kill him and laughing about the man starting to cry because he thought he was about to die.

So, you question why I have a gun with me when I go outside, whether to check the mail or put the garbage out? [email protected] straight! Yes, I do. That's why I carry guns. Only an idiot would own guns and not carry them just because he's too short sighted to be prepared for the unexpected. That's what gets people killed. Being unprepared.

· Premium Member
3,178 Posts
When I carry a 1911 with the intention of throwing it at a perp, I carry hammer down with no round in the chamber. If I intend to use my 1911 as a firearm, I carry with a loaded chamber, cocked and locked.

Reactions: SG29736

· Registered
29 Posts
Been carrying a 1911 of one flavor or another now since 1965. Carried and used it in RVN, been carrying in The World ever since. Being a student of the teachings of Col. Jeff Cooper also, I offer this:

'Nuff said?
Hey Rick --
What is the designation for the red & yellow, eagle carrying a carbine you show. The officer who swore me in to the Army on Valentine's Day, 1955 wore that patch on his right shoulder. Obviously he was a combat vet of either Korea or WW II or both. Ed

· Registered
415 Posts
Hey Rick --
What is the designation for the red & yellow, eagle carrying a carbine you show. The officer who swore me in to the Army on Valentine's Day, 1955 wore that patch on his right shoulder. Obviously he was a combat vet of either Korea or WW II or both. Ed
Ed, the patch is the old US Navy Amphibious Serivce insignia.
I use it as my avatar, as I served in RVN in an Amphibious Unit (Phibron 3, USS Tulare (AKA-112) 1965 - 1967). My unit never wore that patch, it having been phased out some years prior to my service. I just shamelessly adopted it "because I like it", we were never issued such an interesting patch.

"Set Condition One Alpha".....boats in the water. Navy PBR coming up alongside

Preparing to hit the beach in RVN one early morning. Marines and Army Armored Cav Units.

OT: We were always told to carry our 1911's in Cond 3. As soon as we hit the water, virtually all who carried a 1911 chambered a round and re-holstered their weapon. When the SHTF some silly reg dreamed up by some pencil neck nerd back in The World who had never seen one grain of sand on an enemy beach is not the guy you want looking out for you in a combat zone.

And Ed, thank you for your service.

· Registered
118 Posts
Are you familiar with the Colt SAA?
That's off subject...The "Colt" SAA is a revolver, without a transfer bar and will discharge if dropped on the hammer. John Browning designed the 1911 to be carried in condition 1 safely by ,military recruits not even ready to shave yet. and no matter which condition it's carried, a 1911 will NOT discharge if dropped on the hammer with a loaded chamber (floating firing pin safety). The argument is old and sometimes heated, because the squeamish just don't know the weapon and stick their two cents in, out of ignorance. Suffice it to say, the only way to engage the thumb safety, is with the hammer cocked.

· Premium Member
3,386 Posts
I reside in a suburban residential area. The homes were just being built when I had my house built. The majority of the residents are whites, blacks, Africans, hispanics, Mexicans, El Salvadorans, and Vietnamese. The first 3-4 years was fairly crime free. The years after that and crime has increased 10 fold. about 10 years ago I arrested several out of status Africans just around the block from my house.

While I was at work someone poisoned my German Shepherd dog. The vet said he believes it was rat poison. I reported to the city and they put out flyers stating that someone was putting rat poison in raw hamburger meat and tossing it over back yard fences to kill pets. I reported that my dog was poisoned, but, didn't mention rat poison was suspected. So, the city got their intelligence about the rat poison in raw hamburger meat somewhere other than my report.

One day while I was at work, someone stole a full size 16 ft. trampoline from my back yard in broad daylight. I put a pad lock on the back yard gate after that. I also had a steel security door installed on the front entrance.

One Saturday morning I went to the grocery store and when I came back I noticed that someone had attempted to kick in my back yard gate leaving one of the wood slats broken off and lying on the ground.

Every year the residents fire off illegal fireworks. The last 3 years they have started firing off handguns and then rifles and last year fired off handguns and a shotgun rapid fire in the power line easement field that borders my house.

Burglars are regularly reported at all hours of the day and night walking the streets (caught on video cameras) trying to get into parked cars as well as trying to get into homes by testing the front doors even in broad daylight. Some ever were successful in kicking in the front doors to gain access. I added a closed circuit security camera system to monitor my house. I constantly see various different vehicles parking on the street by the easement at all hours of the day and night with people sitting in their cars for hours before they finally leave.

In one attempted vehicle burglary, a cop that works in another city that resides nearby was in uniform about to drive to work and observed a attempted car burglary at about 4 AM and the burglar saw the uniformed cop and fired a shot at him before fleeing. In the neighboring city a Vietnamese gang banger approached a homeowner who was taking his garbage out to the curb and robbed him at gun point, first threatening to kill him and laughing about the man starting to cry because he thought he was about to die.

So, you question why I have a gun with me when I go outside, whether to check the mail or put the garbage out? [email protected] straight! Yes, I do. That's why I carry guns. Only an idiot would own guns and not carry them just because he's too short sighted to be prepared for the unexpected. That's what gets people killed. Being unprepared.
You live in a ****hole and need to move to an area where it is not necessary to be armed when going to the mailbox..

101 - 120 of 170 Posts