1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, It is starting to get cold in Kentucky. I hope to be shooting my first IDPA match in December. I am just curious. What is the coldest outdoor temperature at which you shot an IDPA match? .... jack

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
In the low 20's but I shot a 2 day Urban Rifle course in 1999... 0 to -10 degrees and everybody stayed, too. Pretty cold and we had to keep the guns warm to keep them working.:) My AUG was awesome. I'd do it again.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I've shot IDPA in the low 30s.

A lot of guys take off their jackets when they step to the line, and use a vest or flannel shirt for the cover garment for the stage, then put everything on again. Do whatever you like when it's your turn.

Have fun, stay calm, move deliberately and shoot well. They are a great time, and I can't wait for the next match.

Ben

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
We all wore heavy gloves and heavy jackets and hats, too. We "flopped" our gloves at the start, which in cold weather is a useful thing to practice.

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
When it gets in the teens fewer shooters show up, but we still shoot. Single digits, we normally cancel.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Haven't shot IDPA or USPSA in the cold, but shot pins in a freezing rain w/ temps in the single digits. Usually you get a fair amount of use out of a pin before it gets replaced. Most of the time you'd get 2-4 runs before it would
blow apart from being frozen. Movement off the table was great with the freezing rain on it. Tracy

G

·
Revolver Jack said:
Hello All, It is starting to get cold in Kentucky. I hope to be shooting my first IDPA match in December. I am just curious. What is the coldest outdoor temperature at which you shot an IDPA match? .... jack
This is probably a USPSA/IPSC match and not IDPA, but folks tend to shoot matches in just about all kinds of weather.
Check the motivation of these fellow shooters...Snowball Match

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
"SnowBall Match"

NOW THAT'S MY KIND OF SHOOTIN! Tracy

·
Registered
21,981 Posts
I am a wimp in cold weather, can't keep my trigger hand warm; and I hate the rain as badly as a cat. So I have to shoot in the summer when everybody else is whining about the heat.

·
Registered
578 Posts
-20 and snowing :) Thats NEGATIVE TWENTY!!!

Yeah, I don't get to shoot as much as I want, and even though I'm a weenie in the cold I brave it to shoot.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
joseywales said:
This is probably a USPSA/IPSC match and not IDPA, but folks tend to shoot matches in just about all kinds of weather.
Check the motivation of these fellow shooters...Snowball Match
Looks like a great day for low ports or some prone thrown in for fun.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Crazy idiots

I have shot in the low 20's with snow rain sleet thrown in to mix it up a bit, dress for the weather. Pocket hand warmers are a must, when you are on deck do not paste etc., get your hands warm, this is for safety and performance. I like to layer a snug fitting warm shirt under my vest when shooting, when not shooting a warm heavy coat is a plus. I don't try to push as hard when it is that cold, I put safety first as always, but it is even more important if you can't feel your hands. Again keep your hands as warm as possible and enjoy the fine companionship of the other idiots who don't have enough sense to stay in where its warm.

Robin :)

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
gunsablazin said:
I have shot in the low 20's with snow rain sleet thrown in to mix it up a bit, dress for the weather. Again keep your hands as warm as possible and enjoy the fine companionship of the other idiots who don't have enough sense to stay in where its warm. Robin :)
Umm, that would be me!:rock:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I still shoot when it's cold. Clean your weapon (weapons) & use light oil to lube them. No Grease! I like a lightweight synthetic motor oil.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
notIDPA

My coldest-shot match, a USPSA local club match, was started at -17F (set-up started at -25F).
Tue story: I picked up a hitch-hiker on the way to that match!

Many shooter-induced failures were noted that day; other 'cold' matches also show what lubricants do NOT work in extremes.

Oddly, tomorrow's match will no doubt start at 5--10F; hope the snow dies down......

www.gmps.ws

A33102

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
today is here

Not snowing, about 2F.

Brrr....

First match with new-to-me gun, 40 S&W 1911 SA; hope it works..... :dope:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Shot a pretty cold one yesterday... about 35 degrees and indoors. Smoke from my wadcutters didn't dissipate too well. :grumble:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mid/high 30's, outdoors. I had my canvas jacket and leather work gloves on that usually do me pretty good until about 20 outside.

I didn't realize that it was going to be raining all day, the match was an hour away. I couldn't feel my fingers, we were all freezing our butts off except for a few local guys with raincoats.

Learned my lesson the hard way though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts