1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some years ago I bought a Sistema Colt. It has been 100% reliable. I have put about 1000 rds thu it. Since it gets really cold here (Wisconsin) I don't shoot too much unless it is Spring / Summer / Fall or at an indoor range. Winter is terrible... temps around 0 at times, with wind chills around -30. But, I had made the lastest mod to the old pistol... an oversize FP stop to stop the clocking and erratic ejection pattern, and I wanted to test it. The pistol spent several hours in the trunk and the temps were about +3. I had one failure to chamber and noticed that the slide was not going smoothly into battery. Since I had never had any problems with this pistol, I had never messed with extractor tension. But, this seemed to me to be a classic case of the extractor being too tight. The cold must have pushed it over the "edge". So, frozen gun, sticky lube, tight extractor, and maybe weaker ammo (cold) = a chambering problem. I adjusted the extractor and I was surprised how much I had to bend it. So, the next weekend I was back outside under the same conditions, and no problems at all...the slide went into battery really nice, no hanging up, feeding and ejection perfect. This taught me a good lesson...don't assume anything, and shoot the pistol under extream conditions to make sure it will function.

Oh, and I love the old Sistema....it has Bo-Mar sights, target trigger w/ overtravel screw, oversize barrel bushing, oversize FP stop, Pachmeyer grips, polished ramp, trigger job, wolf springs etc. I had a MKIV Series 70, and Series 80, and a Series 70 Combat Govt., but the Sistema has been more reliable than any of them. The serial number indicates it was made in 1954.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts