1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I used my 35+ year old Coleman stove & lantern camping last weekend-still going strong. I have converted the stove to be able to use 1lb propane bottles for convienience but have the tank as a back up.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
FWIW there are even Colemans that run on kerosene, but those I find are kind of a pita to light up.
Colemans are long lived! Mine are from the late 1940s, and never gave a lick of trouble if kept clean (sort of like a 1911!) And if they do wear, parts are still plentiful and don't cost much. Restoring an old abused Coleman is really quite a bit of fun!

Check out yards sales and Craigs and you can find "Camping Buddies" (how Coleman used to market their lanterns and stoves) for a minute fraction of what the current Coleman Multi-fuel units are going for.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I am still using a Coleman 425 double burner stove that has been in the family for about 50 years. In all that time I have had to do zero maintenance on it. I have had a single mantle Coleman white gas lantern for better than 40 years. I carry about 10 extra mantles for it, but often go 2-3 seasons without having to change one out.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
I am still using a Coleman 425 double burner stove that has been in the family for about 50 years. In all that time I have had to do zero maintenance on it. I have had a single mantle Coleman white gas lantern for better than 40 years. I carry about 10 extra mantles for it, but often go 2-3 seasons without having to change one out.
Doubtful today’s i-generation could replace the mantle...there ain’t an app! Hell the guy at the oil change told me most can’t find the hood release.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I just went out into my Garage and looked up on my high shelf and there they were. One red single burner and the green double burner. They haven't been used in 40 yrs and they still looked good, a little beat up, but good. I put some 3in1 oil down in the pumps. and tomorrow I will head to Wal-Mart and get some fuel and mantles. Boy did they bring back some memories of the times as a kid and Dad frying fresh mullet in that old black iron skillet down on the bay. Now to find the stove.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
FUNNIEST white gas-fueled campfire incident EVER, happened with the Order of the Arrow tapout campfire in Huntington (Camp Arrowhead, Barboursville), WV, in the summer of '99. TOO long a story to do it right on a forum; needless to say - when the fire ignites, while the flaming arrow is still 6' away - and the top 3' of the fire lay explodes everywhere... it's a GOOD white gas story! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

p.s. - no Scouts or Scouters were harmed in this story... although the Lodge Chief's bonnet WAS smoking at the time... :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Nice to have the gasoline option in the newer dual fuel Coleman gas lamps; premiim gas for the small engines, generators always readily at hand.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
What kind of shelf life does white gas have?
I don't know what the "official" shelf life is, but I have successfully used some that is more than 10 years old. No apparent degradation of BTUs for cooking or intensity from the lamp.

·
Registered
22,877 Posts
I do not know what the official shelf life is either.

But I have used some that was several years old with no issues. I think that the important thing when storing it is to not let it get hot. As the aerosol components like the butane will likely evaporate off and leave you with a compound less likely to gasify for use in your lamp or stove. Gasoline will do the same thing.

As a side note. Wal mart sells their own brand of what is essentially the same compound for about half the price. They call it Crown fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Got my two lanterns out yesterday and got my single burner lantern working. Now to get the double burner working. Both of these were my Dads and we used them fishing and camping. I cant believe they are dated 1962. I did order some new parts from coleman and will look for some discontinued parts on ebay and yard sales. I am glad this post got going.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I had forgotten the white gas catalytic heater. I had one when we were first married. My old car hated to start when it was cold so I put one of those heaters next to it in the garage on the coldest nights. It worked quite well.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The old Coleman stoves and lanterns run just fine on regular unleaded gasoline too. The only downside is you may need to disassemble and clean the regulator more frequently due to build up from additives.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
I remember buying white gas from a pump at out "Flying A" gas station. Leaded gas would foul the generator in the Coleman stove and produce lead fumes to breathe. Modern unleaded gas does not seem to foul the generator of my stove.
That's good to know-Coleman used to sell a generator for gasoline and some of their later stoves and lanterns would run on either auto-fuel or Coleman fuel and were sometimes labeled "Dual Fuel". I've been looking for one of the the conversion generators but haven't seen one for decades, perhaps because unleaded gas is okay in them?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
White gas got its name from the fact that it was not dyed, many times red, indicating that taxes had been paid for motor fuel use. The fact that it had no tetraethyl lead added meant that it would not foul a Coleman generator. Modern unleaded gas seems to work well in my Coleman stoves even with the other additives.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts